İngilizce -Türkçe kitap özetleri

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
Will of the Wind - Rüzgarın Hevesi - William Brandon (ingilizce-türkçe özeti)

Mrs. Hackett found her in her bedroom crying. She stood in doorway and said seriously, “ I came in to borrow some sugar, Sylvia. The door was open so I just walk in. Now what’s on earth ‘s wrong with you?
Sylvia sat up and dried her eyes. Her skirt was wrinkled and her black hair hung in disorder over her forehead. A pin had come out of her imitation lace collar and it had fallen down to catch in the little red buckle at her waist. She said shakily, “Hello, Mrs. Hackett. Nothing.”

Mrs. Hackett drew down the corners of her mouth. “Nothing, indeed. It’s because of Chip wanting leave here and go to Canton. Isn’t it? Of course it is.”

Sylvia pushed her hair aside out of her eyes. “ I won’t do it,” she said angrily. “I won’t.”

“Mm,” Mrs. Hackett said sourly. “A boy’s will is the wind’s will. ’That’s a poem. It’s the truest thing in the world. It doesn’t do any good to fight against it. Remember that and you’ll have it easier’’

“I won’t do it. I won’t move around to one mill after another all my life, and never have anything, no home, and no-nothing! I won’t!”

“Well it’s his job if he wants to give it up.”

“It isn’t! It’s just as much mine as it is his. I don’t believe in that old idea that a woman’s just a-a slave, to follow a man around whatever he happens to want to do!”

“Oh, you don’t,” Mrs. Hackett said. “And just what can you do about it?”

Sylvia bowed her head and dried her cheeks with her handkerchief. “I don’t know,” she said.

Bayan Hackett onu yatak odasında ağlıyorken buldu. Kadın kapı aralığında durdu ve ciddi bir şekilde “Sylvia, biraz şeker ödünç almak için gelmiştim. Kapı açıktı ben de içeri girdim. Şimdi Allah aşkına neyin var yine?”
Sylvia dik oturdu ve gözlerini sildi. Eteği buruşmuştu ve siyah saçları alnının üzerine dağınık şekilde sarkmıştı. Taklit dantele benzeyen yakasından bir iğne dışarı çıkmıştı ve bluzundaki küçük kırmızı kopçayı tutturmak için aşağı doğru uzanıyordu. Sesi titreyerek “Merhaba Bayan Hackett, bir şey yok” dedi.

Bayan Hackett çenesinin kenarlarını ovarak “hiç bir şey yok, gerçekten. Chip’in buradan ayrılıp Canton’a gitmek istemesinden dolayı, değil mi. Elbetteki öyle.”

Sylvia saçlarını gözlerini önünden yanaklarına doğru itti. Sinirli şekilde “Bunu yapmayacağım” dedi . “Yapmayacağım.”

Karamsar bir şekilde “hımm” dedi Bayan Hackett. “’Genç bir erkeğin arzuları rüzğarınki gibidir.’ Bu bir şiirdir. Dünyadaki en doğru şey. Buna karşı savaşmanın hiç bir faydası yoktur. Bunu hatırla ve böylece daha kolay kabulleneceksin”

“Bunu yapmayacağım . Hayatım boyunca bir değirmenden ötekine dolaşmayacağım, ve asla bir şeyin olmayacak, evin olmayacak, hiç bir şeyin olmayacak; bunu yapmayacağım.”

“Bu onun işi isterse bırakabilir.”

“Öyle değil . Onun olduğu kadar benim de işim. Şu eski fikre,- Kadını her istediğini yapmak isteyen bir erkeğin peşinden koşan bir köle gibi gören - fikre inanmıyorum!”

“Ooo , inanmıyor musun?” “Peki, sen onunla ne yapabilirsin?” dedi Bayan Hackett.

Sylvia başını öne eğdi ve yanaklarını mendiliyle kuruladı. “Bilmiyorum” dedi.

“Of course you don’t. You’re nothing but a child,” Mrs. Hackett said.” You’ll be twenty years finding out what to do and by that time it’ll be too late to do you any good. Unless there’s somebody around to tell you to begin with. Somebody who knows.”

Sylvia was not impressed. “What could you tell me Mrs. Hackett? What could anyone do? I’ve argued with him until I’m almost crazy but he – doesn’t even listen any more. He’s got his mind set on moving on, to something different that won’t be any different at all, and he’ll want to go again, and—“

“A boy’s will is the wind’s will, “ said Mrs. Hackett, “That’s what the poem says. It’s just as true of a man or an old man, for that matter. The older they get the truer it gets, I guess. Only they give up trying to do anything about it after so long a time.” She pushed up her lower lip and looked down her nose at Sylvia. “Like

Mr. Hackett.”

Sylvia looked up, surprised. “You mean Mr. Hackett used to – want to—“

“He was the hardest man to hold down in this town. He got tired of everything, that was his trouble. It’s sort of laziness, that’s all it is. But he stuck here. He stuck, all right.”

“Why?” Sylvia asked. “What did you do?”

“Well,” Mrs. Hackett said, “you can take it for what it’s worth, Sylvia. It worked with Mrs. Hackett, I know that.”

“But what was it?”

“Whenever he got all excited about leaving here and going away some place to look for something he thought was better, I simply gave him his way. I didn’t oppose him in the least.”

Sylvia looked disappointed and confused. “Oh.”

“But,“ Mrs. Hackett said profoundly, “he didn’t know it. "

“Elbette bilmezsin. Henüz daha bir çocuksun.” dedi Bayan Hackett. “Ne yapacağını öğrenene kadar yirmi yaşına basacaksın ve ve o zaman da kendin için bir şeyler yapmak için çok geç olacak. Tabii etrafında bulunanlardan biri sana nereden başlayacağını söylemediği sürece. Birisi kim bilir.”

Sylvia etkilenmemişti. “Bana ne söyleyebilirsiniz ki , Bayan Hackett? Kim ne yapabilir ki? Onunla deli oluncaya kadar tartıştım fakat beni dinlemedi bile. Gitmeyi kafasına koymuş, sonunda hiç bir farklılık yaratmıyacak farklı bir şeye ve tekrar gitmek isteyecek ve…”

“Genç bir erkeğin arzuları rüzğarın isteğidir” dedi Bayan Hackett. Şiirin söylediği bu. Bu konu genç bir erkek için ne kadar doğruysa yaşlı bir adam için de öyledir. Yaşlandıkça daha doğru olur, tahminimce. Sadece çok uzun bir zaman sonra bu konu hakkında bir şeyler yapmayı bırakırlar.” Alt dudağını yukarı doğru büktü ve burnundan aşağıya Sylvia’ya baktı. “Bay Hackett gibi” dedi.

Sylvia kafasını kaldırdı, şaşırmıştı. “Yani Bay Hackett da gitmek isterdi….?”

“Bu kasabada tutulması en zor adamdı. Onun sıkıntısı herşeyden bıkmasıydı. Bir çeşit tembellikti, hepsi bu kadar. Fakat burada kaldı. Burada kaldı, tamam mı?”

“Niye , ne yaptınız ki?” diye sordu Sylvia.

“Şey, değeri ne ise o kadarıyla alabilirsin, Sylvia. Bay Hackett’ta işe yaradı, bunu biliyorum.”
“Fakat o neydi?”

“Ne zaman burayı terk edip ve daha iyi olduğunu düşündüğü birşeyler bulacağı başka yerlere gitmekle ilgilendiyse; ben açıkça ona yolu gösterdim. Hiç bir şekilde ona engel olmadım.”

Sylvia şaşırmış ve hayal kırıklığına uğramış bir şekilde baktı “Yaa! ” dedi.
“Fakat “ dedi Bayan Hackett “O bunu bilmiyordu."

"I always took him on a trip. Just a week or so. And I kept him on the jump every minute of it. I always liked little trips around, anyway. Well, bye the time that man would get home again he’d be so tired of jumping around that he wouldn’t have left for a thousand dollars. "That,“ Mrs. Hackett said, “is something you find about men, Sylvia. They like to start but they like to get back home a whole lot more.”

Sylvia said doubtfully. “It doesn’t seem that Chip would—“

“Maybe he wouldn’t. I’m the last person in the world to try to give other people advice, Sylvia. Nobody wants it and I guess everyone has to live his own life, anyway. But Mr. Hackett says that they’re shutting down the mill for a week, and if Chip was to spend that week in a car traveling along fast from one place to another, without even a chance to catch his breath….Well, a boy’s will is the wind’s will’—the idea of that is that the wind can change in a minute.”

“But what if he wouldn’t want to go?”

“Mm. You tell him you want a little vacation before you move to Canton. If he thinks that you‘ve given in to him about moving to Canton, he’ll take you. You try it and see.”

They went up into Michigan, west to Wisconsin, down through Minnesota and Iowa and St. Louis to Memphis, east to Knoxville and up through Louisville to come to home. They were gone six days. Each day Sylvia arranged it so that they got up very early and were on the highway by daylight and she kept on the job, planning the things to visit at the next stop, until late at night. She called upon Chip to stop often at roadside stands and she filled him with hot dogs, soft drinks and bad coffee. She was surprised and delighted at the dull look that appeared in his eyes on the third day.
Mrs. Hackett came over the day after they returned to bring back the cup of sugar she had borrowed.

"Her zaman onu bir geziye çıkardım. Sadece bir hafta veya biraz fazla . Gezinin her dakikasında onu meşgul ettim. Neyse küçük gezilerden her zaman hoşlanmışımdır. Yani , tekrar eve geldiği zaman o etrafta dolaşmaktan çok yorgun düşmüş olurdu ki bin dolar verseydiniz bile tekrar gitmezdi." “Bu” dedi Bayan Hackett “senin erkekler hakkında öğrendiğin bir şey, Sylvia. Onlar başlamaktan hoşlanır ama en sonunda eve dönmekten çok daha fazla hoşlanırlar.”

Sylvia tereddütle “Chip vazgeçecek gibi gözükmüyor”

“Belki vazgeçmeyecek. Dünyada diğer insanlara öğüt verecek son kişiyim, Sylvia . Kimse tavsiye istemez ve bence herkes yine de kendi hayatını yaşamak zorundadır. Fakat Bay Hackett değirmeni bir haftalığına kapatacağını söylüyor, ve eğer Chip bu haftayı bir şehirden diğerine hızlıca, hatta nefes almasına bile fırsat vermeden arabayla yolculuk yaparak geçirirse….. genç bir adamın isteği, rüzğarın isteğidir. Bu rüzğarın bir dakika içinde değişebileceği fikridir.”

“Fakat; ya gitmek istemezse?”

“Hımm, sen ona Canton’a gitmeden önce ufak bir tatile çıkmak istediğini söyle. Eğer senin Canton’a gitme fikri hakkında ona boyun eğdiğini düşünürse, seni tatile götürür. Dene ve gör.”

Michigan’ın kuzeyine, doğuya Winconsin’e, aşağı doğru Minnesota ve Iowa ve St. Louis’den Memphis’e, batıya Knoxville’ne ve eve gelmek için yukarıya Louisville’ye gittiler. Altı günlüğüne gitmişlerdi. Her gün Sylvia geziyi düzenledi dolayısiyle çok erken kalktılar ve gündüzleri otoyoldaydılar ve bir dahaki duracakları yerde neleri ziyaret edeceklerini planlama işini Sylvia gece geç saatlere kadar sürdürdü. Sylvia Chip’ten sık sık yol kenarındaki büfelerde durmasını istedi ve ona sosisli sandöviç , alkolsüz içecekler ve kötü kahve yedirip içirtti. Üçüncü gün Chip’in gözlerinde görünen donuk bakışlara şaşırıp ve sevindi.

Döndüklerinin ertesi günü Bayan Hackett ödünç almış olduğu bir kase şekeri geri vermek için çıka geldi.

She said, “Well !” and paused expectantly, holding the cup of sugar in both hands.

“He went back to work today,” Sylvia said. There was a tired note in her voice. “He hasn’t said a thing about going to Canton for several days.”

“Mm! And what did he say when he got home?” She asked. “That he never thought home would look so good to him?”

Sylvia nodded. She sat down on a kitchen chair and for a moment seemed lost in thought. “He said exaCTLy that,” she said at last.

“ You won’t even be able to get him to move out of the house to go to a movie for a month. I told you. “Wind’s will,” that’s the poem. They’re all alike, all men.” She put the cup of sugar on the kitchen cabinet and looked at Sylvia. “But I wouldn’t say that you look so happy about it, Sylvia. You’re tired.”

Sylvia rested her chin on her hand. She sighed and said, “I’m a little tired of this town, I guess. I was just thinking, when we came back yesterday, and it looked so …so old and so dirty and dull and tiresome…and I thought that we’ll spend all our lives here, with nothing to do except the same old … oh, I was just thinking.”
Mrs. Hackett drew back and looked at Sylvia seriously and then said. “You’re just tired, Sylvia. My goodness. That long trip—“

Sylvia looked up and her eyes were shining. “But I’m not tired,” she said. “I had a wonderful time.”

“Eee!?!” dedi ve her iki eliyle şeker kabını tutarak umutla bekledi.

“Bugün işe geri döndü” dedi Sylvia. Sesinde yorgun bir ifade vardı. “Bir kaç gündür Canton’a gitmeyle ilgili bir şey söylemedi!”

“Hımmm ! Peki eve geldiğinde ne söyledi ?” diye sordu. “Evin ona hiç bu kadar güzel göründüğünü asla düşünmediğini.” söyledi. Sylvia başını salladı. Mutfak sandalyesinin birine oturdu ve bir an için düşüncelere dalmış gözüktü. “Aynen öyle söyledi!” dedi en sonunda.

“Bir ay boyunca onu sinemaya gitmek için bile evin dışına çıkaramayacaksın. Sana söylemiştim.”Rüzgarın arzuları” işte şiir bu. “ Onların hepsi aynı ,bütün erkekler”. Şeker kasesini mutfak dolabına koydu ve Sylvia’ya baktı. “Ama senin bu konudan çok mutlu göründüğünü söyleyemem. Çok yorgunsun.”

Sylvia çenesini ellerinin üzerine dayadı. İçini çekti ve “Sanırım bu kasabadan bir parça sıkıldım. Sadece dün geri geldiğimizde düşündüm ve bu kasaba çok eski, kirli, sıkıcı, bunaltıcı göründü ve düşündüm de bütün ömrümüzü burada geçireceğiz, yapacak bir şey olmadan sadece aynı eski ….Aman, Sadece düşünüyordum!”

Bayan Hackett geri çekildi ve ciddi bir şekilde Sylvia’ya ya baktı ve “Sadece yorgunsun, Sylvia. Aman Allahım, şu uzun gezi …..”dedi.

Sylvia başını kaldırıp baktı, gözleri parlıyordu. “Fakat ben yorulmadım ki” dedi. Harika bir zaman geçirdim.

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
The Big Chance - Büyük Şans - Frederick Lang (ingilizce-türkçe özeti)

He wasn’t the kind to pick a secretary by the color of her hair. Not Bill Hargrave. Both Paula and Nancy had been smart enough to know that. And for some time everyone in the office had known that one of them, Paula or Nancy, was going to get the job. In fact, the decision would probably be made this afternoon. Hargrave was leaving town and wanted to settle the matter before he left.

The two girls could see him from their desks outside his office. Maybe it was only some correspondence that he was looking at with cool, keen eyes. But for a moment his finger seemed to pause above those two efficient little pushbuttons. If he pressed the left one, it would be Paula’s pulse which would begin to beat faster.
Paula couldn’t keep her eyes off that light on her desk. She kept making mistakes in her typing and nervously taking the sheets of paper out in order to start all over again.

She leaned across her typewriter and said to Nancy, “The boss is all dressed up today. He must be going on a special trip.”

She was just talking to relieve her nervousness. Nancy took her time about answering. She wasn’t used to having Paula talk to her in such an intimate tone. Not since they’d learned a month ago that they were both in line for a promotion, for the important job as Bill Hargrave’s secretary.

“He does look nice.”

Hargrave was young and outside of office hours he was said to be human. But that wasn’t why he’d gotten to be one of the important officials of the company until they saw him one day in one of the top executive positions.

O bir sekreteri saçının rengine bakarak seçecek tipte biri değildi. En azından Bill Hargrave böyle değildi. Hem Paula, hem de Nancy bunu bilecek kadar zekiydiler. Ve bir süredir de bürodaki herkesin bildiği gibi içlerinden biri, Paula veya Nancy, işi alacaktı. Aslında, karar muhtemelen bu öğleden sonra verilecekti. Hargrave kasabadan ayrılıyordu ve gitmeden önce meseleyi halletmek istiyordu.

Kızların ikisi de, çalışma odasının dışındaki masalarından onu görebiliyorlardı. Belki de patronlarının sakin, keskin gözlerle baktığı sadece bir mektuptu. Ama bir an için parmağı, o iki küçük işlek çağrı düğmesinin üzerinde durur gibi oldu. Eğer soldakine basarsa, daha hızlı atmaya başlayacak olan nabız Paula’nınki olacaktı.

Paula gözlerini masasının üzerindeki ışıktan ayıramıyordu. Daktiloda hata yapmaya ve herşeye baştan başlamak için gergin bir şekilde kağıtları çıkarmaya devam etti.

Daktilosunun üzerinden eğildi ve Nancy’ye, “Patron bugün baştan aşağıya iyi giyinmiş. Özel bir geziye gidiyor olmalı” dedi.

Sadece gerginliğini yatıştırmak için konuşuyordu. Nancy cevap vermekte acele etmedi. Paula’nın, kendisiyle böyle samimi bir ses tonuyla konuşmasına alışkın değildi. Özellikle de, bir ay önce her ikisinin de Bill Hargrave’in sekreterliği gibi önemli bir işe terfi etmek için aday olduklarını öğrenmiş olmalarından beridir.

“Hoş görünüyor.”

Hargrave gençti ve mesai saatlerinin dışında insancıl olduğu söylenirdi. Ama onu, bir gün şirketin üst yönetici mevkilerinde birinde görene kadar şirkette önemli biri olması gerektiğinin sebebi bu değildi.

The two girls saw him get up from his desk and walk to the doorway of his office. He stood there with one hand in a pocket of his blue flannel suit. There was a small white flower in his buttonhole and the usual keen, unrevealing smile on his face.

“Did you send for the tickets?” he asked Nancy.

“I got the tickets all right,” she answered, “but…and she tried to smile in the same hard way the boss did. She looked about as hardboiled as a white kitten. “But there just aren’t any staterooms to be had,” she told him. “Not for love or money.”

The boss was certainly disappointed. Anybody could see that.

“Suppose I try it?” Paula suggested quickly.

And for the next ten minutes, half the office employees could hear Paula telling the ticket agent exaCTLy what she thought of him.

“Listen,” she said, “I don’t care whose reservations you have to cancel…”

Well, the job was worth going after. There was the salary, for one thing. And there was the prestige. The boss’s secretary knew a great deal about the business. And there were the interesting people she got to talk to. The important people. And the boxes of perfume, flowers, and candy they often left on her desk.
And there was Bill Hargrave for a boss. Young and clever and attractive. That was a factor, too. Because in the advertising business you called the boss “Bill,” and he called his secretary “Nancy” or “Paula” and took her to dinner on the company expense account.

Kızların ikisi de onun masasından kalktığını ve çalışma odasının girişine doğru ilerlediğini gördü. Orada, bir elini mavi kadife takım elbisesinin ceplerinden birine sokmuş olarak ayakta durdu. Ceketinin yakalarından birinde küçük, beyaz bir çiçek ve yüzünde her zamanki zeki, kendini açığa vurmaz gülümsemesi vardı.
“Biletleri istettiniz mi? diye sordu Nancy’ye.

“Biletleri hallettim,” diye yanıtladı Nancy, “ama… ve patron gibi aynı ciddi ifadeyle gülümsemeye çalıştı. Beyaz bir kedi yavrusu kadar çaresiz göründü o an. “Ama ayırtabileceğimiz hiç özel kompartman kalmamış,” diye açıkladı ona. “Mümkünatı yok.”

Patron kesinlikle hayal kırıklığına uğramıştı. Bunu herkes farkedebilirdi.

“Bir de ben deneyim mi?” diye çabucak bir teklifte bulundu Paula.

Ve sonraki on dakika boyunca ofis çalışanlarının yarısı, Paula’nın bilet satış görevlisine kendisi hakkında ne düşündüğünü söylemesini duyoyorlardı.

“Dinleyin,” diyordu, “Kimin rezervasyonlarını iptal etmek zorunda kaldığınız hiç umurumda değil…”
Eee, iş peşinden koşmaya değerdi. Bir kere, maaşı iyiydi. Ve saygınlığı vardı. Patronun sekreteri, işler hakkında oldukça fazla bilgiye sahip olurdu. Ve konuşmak durumunda kaldığı ilginç insanlar vardı. Önemli kişiler. Ve bu kişilerin sık sık masasının üstüne bıraktığı kutular dolusu parfüm, çiçek ve şekerler.

Ve Bill Hargrave vardı patron olarak. Genç ve zeki ve çekici. Bu da bir etkendi. Çünkü, reklamcılık işinde patronuna “Bill” diye seslenirdin, ve o da sekreterine “Nancy” veya “Paula” derdi ve onu şirket giderleri hesabından ödenen akşam yemeklerine götürürdü.

It was all striCTLy business, but it seemed intimate and informal.

Both Paula and Nancy knew about those dinners. Bill had tried to be fair. He would ask Paula to stay one night, and it would be Nancy’s turn the next night.

But Paula had been smart. She had soon learned how impersonal Bill Hargrave could be, even at those intimate dinners. About as personal as one of those advertisements that says, “This means you.” And she saw how much harder to please he was during the overtime hours- more irritable, more inclined to be critical in his manner.

So when Nancy had said, “I don’t mind staying nights, really. I know Paula usually has a date. She’s popular with the men…” well, Paula had been glad to let it go at that. She’d been quick enough to see that neither of them was going to get the job simply on a basis of physical attractiveness, and she was right.

Paula didn’t need any lessons when it came to office politics. She was the one who was always busy when someone of little importance in the office wanted his material typed. “Sorry, but it’s impossible, Jack. Why not ask Nancy?”

And they did ask Nancy. It left Paula free to do Bill Hargrave’s work in a hurry. She was never too busy for Mr. Bill’s work.

When Hargrave finally pressed one of those buttons it was at Paula’s desk that the light went on. She started to make a grab for her notebook, but she quickly took out her mirror first. Then she grabbed up her notebook and an envelope that was on her desk.

Bu mutlak suretle, tamamen işin bir parçasıydı, ancak biraz samimi ve gayri resmi görünürdü.

Hem Paula, hem de Nancy bu akşam yemeklerini iyi biliyorlardı. Bill adil olmaya çalışmıştı. Bir akşam Paula’dan kalmasını rica ederdi, ve sonraki akşam yemek sırası Nancy’ye gelirdi.

Ama Paula akıllı hareket etmişti. Bill Hargrave’in o samimi akşam yemeklerinde bile ne kadar mesafeli olabildiğini hemen öğrenmişti. Şu içlerinden birinde aşağı yukarı “Bu sen demeksin” diyen reklam kadar mesafeliydi. Ve onu fazla mesai sırasında memnun etmenin nasıl daha da zor olduğunu gördü_ daha asabi, hareketlerinde eleştirici olmaya daha fazla eğilimli.

Ve tabii Nancy “Akşamları ben kalabilirim, gerçekten. Paula’nın genellikle bir randevusu olduğunu biliyorum. Erkekler arasında oldukça meşhur…” dediğinde, Paula olayın böyle gelişmesine izin vermekten hoşnut olmuştu. Paula, ikisinin de bu işi sadece fiziksel çekicilikleri ile elde edemeyeceklerini görmekte gecikmemişti, ve haklıydı.
İş, büro politikalarına geldiğinde, Paula’nın hiç bir derse ihtiyacı yoktu. Büroda fazla önemli olmayan biri notlarını daktilo ettirmek istediğinde her zaman meşgul olan hep oydu. “Üzgünüm, ama imkansız Jack. Neden Nancy’den istemiyorsun?”

Ve onlar da Nancy’ye rica ederlerdi. Bu Paula’ya, Bill Hargrave’in işlerini daha acele yapma özgürlüğünü getirdi. O, Bay Bill’in işleri için asla çok meşgul değildi.
Hargrave en sonunda şu düğmelerden birine bastığında, ışığı yanan Paula’nın masasıydı. Not defterini kapmak için hareketlendi, ama daha önce çabucak aynasını çıkardı. Sonra defterini ve masasının üzerindeki bir zarfı aldı hemen.

As for Nancy, what else could she do but sit there with her pretty blonde head bent over her typewriter? Nancy was a natural blonde, and that seemed the best way to describe her.

She just didn’t seem to know any tricks such as Paula did for making herself more popular with the boss.
The moment Paula got inside Hargrave’s office he asked about that stateroom.

“Any luck, Paula?”

Paula wasn’t dumb. It was the little things that would count with Mr. Bill. Orchestra seats at the theater when an important client was in the town and the show was sold out. Or a stateroom when there were “no staterooms to be had for love or money.”

She handed him the envelope. It contained the two sets of tickets. “That’s your stateroom number on the outside,” she said in a businesslike way.

She had on a blue flannel suit something like Bill’s, and it was clear he thought she looked pretty smart in it.
“Don’t forget the time,” she added, “eight-fifteen.”

Hargrave smiled. “So there were no staterooms for love or money, eh?”

He looked again at the number of his stateroom and he put the envelope carefully in his inside pocket.
Then he told her. She was going to have a new job. He mentioned the salary, too. He didn’t neglect to mention the salary.
She took it just right- in a very businesslike manner. Just enough of gratitude.

Nancy’ye gelince, sapsarı kafası daktilosunun üzerine bükülmüş bir şekilde orada öylece oturmaktan başka ne gelirdi elinden? Nancy doğal bir sarışındı, ve bu onu tanımlayabilecek en iyi ifadeydi.
Sadece, Paula’nın kendini patrona daha da yakınlaştırmak için başvurduğu hilelerin hiç birini biliyor gibi görünmüyordu.

Paula patronun çalışma odasına girdiği anda, Hargrave şu kompartman konusunu açtı.

“Hiç şansımız var mı, Paula?”

Paula aptal değildi. Mr. Bill için önemli olan Ufak ayrıntılardı. Önemli bir müşteri kasabadayken, tüm biletlerin satıldığı bir tiyatro salonunda orkestra gösterisi için yer bulabilmek gibi. Veya “ayarlanmasının mümkün olmadığı” bir zamanda bir kompartman.

Ona zarfı uzattı. İçinde iki kişilik bilet vardı. “Bu salonun kenarındaki kompartmanınızın numarası,” dedi ciddi bir ifadeyle.

Üzerine Bill’inkine benzer mavi kadife bir takım elbise giymişti, ve bu elbise içinde patronun onun çok güzel göründüğünü düşündüğü aşikardı.

“Saatini unutmayın” diye ekledi, “sekiz-onbeş.”

Hargrave gülümsedi. “Güya kompartman ayarlamak mümkün değildi, ha?”

Kompartmanının numarasına tekrar baktı ve zarfı dikkatli bir şekilde iç cebine koydu.

Sonra ona söyledi. Yeni işi o alacaktı. Maaştan da bahsetti. Maaştan bahsetmeyi ihmal etmedi.
Paula bunu tam anlamıyla uygun bir şekilde-çok ciddi bir tavırla- kabul etti. Sadece yetecek kadar bir minnettarlıkla.

And then, the old sportsmanship. How sorry she felt about Nancy. She didn’t look sorry
And neither did Bill. He told her it was okay, that she shouldn’t worry about Nancy, that Nancy wasn’t made for the job anyway, and that besides, he and Nancy were leaving on their honeymoon tonight. Tonight at eight-fifteen.

Ve sonra, şu eski sportmenlik. Nancy için ne kadar da üzülüyordu. Aslında pek de üzgün görünmüyordu.
Ve Bill de üzgün görünmüyordu. Ona her şeyin yolunda olduğunu, Nancy için endişelenmemesi gerektiğini, nihayetinde Nancy’nin bu işe uygun olmadığını, ve bunun yanısıra, o ve Nancy’nin bu akşam balayına çıkacaklarını söyledi. Bu akşam, saat sekiz-onbeşteki trenle.

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
Ten Steps - On Basamak - Robert Littell (ingilizce-türkçe özeti)

I put on a clean collar. I was in our room on the second floor where I could see into the Hubbel’s yard , and the ring on the stone post where they tie up their dog. The dog wasn’t there. The collar which I took off had two kinds of laundry mark on the inside, one mark from the laundry where I used to take my shirts and a second mark from the present laundry. Then I washed my hands.

The soap was worn down so that there was almost none left. It was as soap that smelled like salad. I turned off the water, but the water still went drip- drip from the faucet. I dried my hands. I hung the towel on the left end of the rod. The right end of the rod is for Mae. The rod is glass and some day it will come loose and fall down and break. I shut the bathroom door so that I would not hear the drip-drip of the water from the faucet.

I went into the room again which is for Mae and mine. On her bed in the day time she keeps a French doll with big eyes. Where the back of the bed hits the wall there is a mark. I moved out the bed, and I saw the mark. It is black and a yard long. The doll fell of and I put it back on the bed so it could not look at me when I went out. Then I went out.

I was is the hall , and I shut my eyes. I didn’t know what kind of wallpaper there was in the hall. I thought that it would be green, but when I opened my eyes again it was more blue than green, with a woman , with a basket, and a lamp. Around the door the wallpaper was cut off, and there was only the lamp; eight times from ceiling to the flour , no woman , and no basket but only the lamp. I could touch to the ceiling when I stood on my toes.

Next to our room is the extra room, which we do not use. I went into that. The back of the mirror was peeling off , and both windows were closed.

Temiz bir kazak giydim.Hubbel’in bahçesini ve köpeklerini bağladıkları kaya üzerine çakılı halkayı görebildiğim ikinci kattaki odamdaydım.Köpek orada değildi.Çıkardığım kazağın iç tarafında iki çeşit çamaşırhane etiketi vardı,bir tanesi şimdiki diğeri ise daha önce gömleklerimi götürdüğüm çamaşırhanenindi. Sonra ellerimi yıkadım.

Sabun eridi gitti ve neredeyse hiç kalmadı. Salata gibi kokan bir sabundu.Suyu kapattım fakat su hala musluktan damlıyordu.Ellerimi kuruladım.Havluyu çubuğun sol ucuna astım .Çubuğun sağ uç tarafı Mae içindi.Çubuk camdandı,zamanla gevşedi ve düşerek kırıldı.Musluktan damlayan suyun sesini duymamak için banyo kapısını kapattım.

Tekrar Mae ve bana ait olan odaya girdim . Gün içinde yatağının üzerinde büyük gözlü Fransız yapımı oyuncak bir bebek bulundururdu. Yatağın arka tarafında duvara vurduğu yerde iz oluşmuştu. Yataktan çıktım ve ize baktım. Siyah ve 1 yard uzunluğundaydı. Oyuncak düştü. Onu tekrar yatağın üzerine geri koydum. Odadan çıkarken oyuncak bana bakamıyordu. Sonra dışarı çıktım.

Koridordaydım,gözlerimi kapadım. Koridorda ne çeşit bir duvar kağıdı olduğunu bilmiyordum. Yeşil olabileceğini düşündüm, fakat gözlerimi tekrar açtığımda yeşilden çok maviydi;kadınlı,sepetli,lambalı. Kapı civarında kağıt kesilmişti ;yerden tavana kadar sekiz tane lamba vardı, sadece lamba kalmıştı kadın ve sepet yoktu. Parmak uçlarımda yükseldiğimde tavana dokunabiliyordum.

Odamızın bitişiğinde kullanmadığımız ekstra bir oda vardı. O odaya girdim. Aynanın arkası soyulmuştu ve iki pencerede kapalıydı.

On the window there was a large fly, and I opened the window and drove him out and he flew away. And in the window frame there was a long nail ;and I took off my shoe and drove in the nail with the heel of my shoe. Then I put on my shoe again. I measured the room by walking across in each direction from one wall to other . It is ten by fourteen.

I came into the parlor from the door across from the desk. The desk has three drawers down one side. I took out an envelope from the bottom drawer and put some money in it and wrote “ For Mae “ on it and put it on the top of the desk. The curtains in the parlor were red. Where the sun hits them there is a part that is not red , but pink. There was a magazine on the table called Movieland, and I started to read it, but I did not read it. I went over the fireplace and looked at the rest of the room from there , and I saw the table and the carpet and how two chairs were facing right towards each other. I sat down on one of them and one of it’s legs was shorter than the others, and I got up and went into the kitchen.

In the kitchen I saw Mae shelling peas. She forces the peas out of the shell with her thump and they fell into the bowl. There were three peas on the floor and I picked them up and put them in my pocket. The kitchen floor was laid in linoleum with blue and white squares two inches squares. Mae was sitting on a stool, reading a paper placed in front of her. She did not turn around when I came in. She said, ‘’When you come back bring some stove polish with you.’’

I said I was going now.

I went out through the back door into the yard. There I saw my kid playing with some sand and toy truck, and then running the truck back and forth through sand. The sand was wet, and I could see the print of his hand on it. It was his left hand. I said,’ ’so long, son,‘’ to him, but he didn’t say anything. He was too busy with his truck and the sand.

Camın üzerinde büyük bir böcek vardı. Pencereyi açtım,böceği defettim, uçtu gitti. Pencerenin çerçevesinde uzun bir çivi vardı. Ayakkabımı çıkardım , topuğu ile çiviyi çaktım; tekrar giydim. Odayı bütün yönlerden yürüyerek duvardan duvara ölçtüm. 10 x 14 ‘tü. Masadan başlayıp kapıdan geçerek salona girdim. Masanın bir tarafında üç çekmecesi vardı. En alttaki çekmeceden bir zarf aldım, içine biraz para koydum,üzerine “Mae için” yazdım ve masanın üzerine bıraktım. Salondaki perdeler kırmızıydı. Güneşin vurduğu perdelerde kırmızı olmayan, pembe olan bir kısım vardı. Masanın üzerinde Movieland adında bir dergi vardı. Dergiyi okumaya başladın fakat okumadım. Şöminenin üzerine çıktım ve odanın geri kalanına oradan baktım. Masayı, halıyı ve tama olarak biri birine bakan iki koltuğu gördüm. Bir tanesinin üzerine oturdum; bir bacağı diğerlerinden kısaydı. Kalktım ve mutfağa gittim.

Mea yı bezelyeleri soyarken gördüm. Baş parmağıyla bezelyeleri kabuklarından çıkmaya zorluyordu ve bezelyeler kasenin içine düşüyordu. Zeminde üç bezelye tanesi vardı. Onları topladım ve cebime koydum. Mutfağın tabanı mavi-beyaz renkli,2 inch lik kareli muşambayla döşenmişti. Mae taburenin üzerinde oturuyor ve önündeki gazeteyi okuyordu. İçeri girdiğimde bana dönmedi. “Geri döndüğünde biraz fırın cilası getir” dedi.

“şimdi gidiyorum” dedim.

Bahçedeki arka kapıdan çıktım. Orada kum ve oyuncaklarla oynayan çocuğumu gördüm. Kumu oyuncak kamyona koyuyor, kamyonu itiyor boşaltıyordu. Kum nemliydi, üzerinde çocuğun el izini görebiliyordum. sol elinin iziydi. “Hoşça kal evlat” dedim. O hiçbir şey demedi. Kum ve kamyonu ile çok meşguldü.

Then I went to the garage, and unlock the door. I ran a cloth over the windshield of the car, and it was scratched in a half circle where the windshield wiper wipes it. And I stood there a couple minutes, and then I closed the doors and walked alongside of the house to the frond and looked at my watch. It was twenty minutes to ten.

Then I walked down the wooden steps to the sidewalk, and I counted the steps. I counted ten steps, I thought I counted the last step, but perhaps I didn’t . I walked down the street, and I looked back, and saw the house , and there was one window with a shade halfway down, and I wanted to go back and count the steps again to make sure, but I didn’t. I walked down to the corner and took the bus and got off at the police station and found Captain Rogers and told him that if they were looking for the man who killed Sam Mathews they should arrest me because I had done it.

Captain Rogers asked me if I want to write out a confession and I said that I would, but before I tell them how I killed Mathews I want to write down the last things which I saw in my house and how I remember them, because now I will want always to be able to remember about all those things that I won’t ever see again.

Sonra garaja gittim ve kapı kilidini açtım.Arabanın ön camındaki örtüyü kaldırdım,cam sileceklerinin sildiği yerlerde yarım daireler oluşmuştu.Bir iki dakika orada kaldım ,kapıları kapattımevin yanından ön tarafa doğru yürüdüm ve saatime baktım. Saat ona yirmi vardı.
Ahşap basamaklardan kaldırıma doğru yürüdüm ve bu basamakları saydım. On basamak saydım, son basamağı saydığımı düşündüm ama belki de saymadım.

Sokaktan aşağı doğru yürüdüm ,geriye baktım ve evi gördüm, yarı açık gölge li bir pencere vardı.Geriye dönüp emin olmak için basamakları tekrar saymak istedim. Fakat gitmedim. Köşeye kadar yürüdüm ,otobüse bindim polis karakolunda indim ve yüzbaşı Ragers’ı buldum.Sam Matthews’ü öldüren adamı arayorsanız beni tutuklayabilirsiniz çünkü onu ben öldürdüm dedim.

Yüzbaşı Ragers itirafımı yazmak isteyip istemediğimi sordu,yazabileceğimi söyledim fakat önce onlara Matthews’ü nasıl öldürdüğümü anlattım.Yazmak istediğim son şeyler evimde gördüklerim ve onları şimdi nasıl hatırladığımdı.Çünkü şimdi, bir daha asla göremeeceğim bütün o şeyleri her zaman hatırlayabilmek istiyorum.

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
Red Balloons - Kırmızı Balonlar - Elmer Davis (ingilizce-türkçe özeti)

Lundy told himself afterward that he had been tempted beyond his strength. In fact, he had never been really tempted before, for he had never had such an opportunity. He had gone to the bank – the branch bank in the poor, rundown neighborhood to which he had recently moved – to cut a coupon from his last bond; all the rest of his bonds and his money he had lost in his crazy attempt to make on stock market so that he could give up his job and live in Florida. He took his safe deposit-box to one of the booths where people shut themselves in while they open their safe-deposit boxes in order to cut coupons or to put in or remove valuables. The booth had just been vacated by a fat woman wearing many jewels who had left it covered with torn papers.

A little annoyed, Lundy brushed away the torn papers – and came upon an envelope filled with money which the fat woman had obviously overlooked. A bank failure in the town had recently frightened many people; the fat woman looked like the sort of person who would turn her bank balance into cash and lock it up in her safe-deposit box. Lundy half opened the door to call her back and saw her walking out of the bank. Quickly he shut the door, counted the money. Nearly thirty thousand dollars; enough to keep a man comfortably live in some little Florida town for the rest of his life.

Quickly, Lundy slipped the envelope into his inside pocket.

Then he left the bank, crossing the street into a little park with a high iron fence around it. It was, he knew, a private park, the possession of the old families that had once lived on the square; at night its gates were locked, a watchman guarded it. But by day it was open to all. He sat down on a bench, trembling

Lundy, kendi kendine, gücünün üstünde zorlandığını düşünüyordu. Aslında, daha önce eline böyle bir fırsat geçmediği için, gerçek anlamda hiç bu kadar çalışmamıştı. Kalan son çekinden bir kupon kesmek için, yeni taşındığı fakir ve döküntü bir muhitte bulunan banka şubesine gitti. Kalan bu son çekten önce sahip olduğu bütün gayri menkulünü ve parasını, bu işi bırakıp Florida’da yaşamak maksadıyla, daha çok kazanmak için yatırdığı borsada kaybetmişti.

Şahsi güvenlik kasasını alarak, insanların kasalarını rahatça açabilmeleri, kupon kesebilmeleri, para ve değerli eşya koyabilmeleri veya alabilmeleri ve bu işi yaparken yalnız kalabilmelerini sağlayan kabinlerden birine girdi. Kabinden, az önce bir çok mücevheri olan şişmanca bir kadın, içeride yırtık kağıt parçaları bırakarak çıkmıştı.
Durumdan oldukça rahatsız olan Lundy kabine girdi ve yırtık kağıt parçalarını kenara itti ve o sırada, şişman kadın tarafından düşürüldüğü açıkça belli olan parayla dolu zarfı gördü. Son zamanlarda, şehirde bir bankanın batması çok korkutmuştu. Şişman kadın da, bu korkudan dolayı, banka hesabını nakide çevirip, şahsi güvenlik kasasına saklama eğiliminde olan birine benziyordu. Lundy, bayanı geri çağırmak için kapıyı yarı araladı ve onu bankadan çıkarken gördü. Süratle kabinin kapısını kapattı ve Parayı saydı. Neredeyse otuz bin dolar vardı. Bu para, bir insanın kalan bütün hayatını Florida’da geçirmesine yetecek bir miktardı.

Zarfı çaktırmadan ceketinin iç cebine koydu.

Bankadan çıktı ve caddenin karşısında yüksek demir çitlerle çevrili küçük parka gitti. Park, Lundy’nin bildiği kadarıyla özel bir parktı ve daha önce bu arazide yaşamış eski ailelerin mülküydü. Geceleri kapıları kilitlenirdi ve bir bekçi onu korurdu. Gündüzleri herkese açıktı. Kış rüzgarında titreyerek bir banka

in the winter wind; the envelope in his pocket felt like a piece of hot metal.

What a fool he had been! He had thought when he took it that it wouldn’t be missed for a month – not until the woman came again to cut coupons. But if she kept all her money in her safe-deposit box she might come back and find it missing tomorrow – this afternoon. The bank employees would remember Lundy – he had recently rented his safe-deposit box; they might remember that he had followed her into the booth. If he gave up his job now and left for Florida, that would be a confession. But tonight, tomorrow, he might be questioned, his rooms examined. Where could he hide the money?

His throat was dry; he got up, walked to the center of the park, where he had seen a drinking fountain. Unable to decide what to do, he stared at the drinking fountain, at its tall concrete base. Then his eyes narrowed; the base was broken on one side – a hole big enough to put your hand through. Inside, there was a dark space where no one would think of looking for anything; where a man who had hidden something could come back and get it almost anytime.

Beside the drinking fountain, Lundy kneeled down; anyone who had passed would have seen only a man with an unbuttoned overcoat hanging loose about him, kneeling down, tying his shoe. But when he went on, the envelope of money no longer lay like a piece of hot metal in his pocket. He had hidden it in the hole at the base of the drinking fountain.

That evening two detectives from police headquarters came to see him, to question him very politely and he met them smiling.

“Yes, yes,” he said. “There was a fat woman in the booth just before me; she left it covered with torn pieces of paper and I brushed them aside into the wastepaper basket. Find out where the wastepaper basket went, and you’ll probably find the money.

oturdu ama cebindeki zarf ona, sıcacık bir parça maden gibi geliyordu.

Yürürken, ne kadar aptalca davrandığını düşündü. Zarfı aldığı zaman, kadın tekrar kupon kesmek için bankaya gelinceye kadar, yani hemen hemen bir ay boyunca paranın kaybolduğunun farkına varılamayacağını düşünmüştü. Ama kadın bütün parasını kasasında saklıyorsa, yarın, hatta bugün öğleden sonra bankaya gelip, paranın kaybolduğunu farkedebilirdi. Banka görevlileri de Lundy’nin kasası ile birlikte, şişman kadından sonra, onun çıktığı kabine girdiğini hatırlayabilirlerdi. Eğer hemen işini bırakıp Florida’ya giderse hata ederdi. Ama bu akşam veya yarın sorgulanabilir ve evi aranabilirdi. Parayı nereye saklayabilirdi?

Boğazının kuruduğunu hissetti ve parkın ortasında gördüğü çeşmeye doğru ilerlemeye başladı. Ne yapacağına karar veremez bir halde, çeşmeye ve onun uzun taban taşına bakıyordu. Birden gözleri kısıldı. Tabandaki taşın bir tarafında, bir elin rahatlıkla girebileceği genişlikte ve yeterince derin bir yarık olduğunu farketti. Yarığın içi karanlıktı ve hiç kimsenin aklına burada bir şey aramak gelmezdi ve hiç kimse burada bir şey olduğunu göremezdi. Buraya herhangi bir şey saklasanız, daha sonra istediğiniz zaman gelip alabilirdiniz.

Lundy, çeşmenin hemen önüne diz çöktü. Oradan geçip, onu gören birisi, sadece çökmüş ve ayakkabılarını bağlayan, düğmeleri iliklenmemiş bir parka giyen bir adam görecekti. Gittiğinde zarf cebinde bir sıcak metal gibi değildi. Yavaşça para dolu zarfı cebinden çıkarıp, çeşmenin altında bulduğu boşluğa sakladı.

O gece, Polis merkezinden iki dedektif, Lundy’yi görmeye ve sorgulamaya geldi. Lundy onları güler yüzle karşıladı.
“Evet, evet” dedi. “Benden önce kabinde şişman bir bayan vardı. Kabinden, yırtık kağıt parçaları bırakarak çıktı. Ben de o kağıt parçalarını çöp sepetine attım. Çöp sepetine bakın. Muhtemelen, parayı orada bulursunuz.

No, I’ve no objection at all if you want to look around here just to satisfy yourselves.

Afterward he wondered whether he had not overdone it. They went away apparently convinced, but he couldn’t feel safe. He had better live the money where it was, for a while. There wasn’t a chance in a million that anyone would look into the broken drinking fountain. There was no hope of his recovering the money at night: the park gate was locked; the watchman was on duty. Someday, when no one was near, he would kneel down as if to tie his shoe –

As he entered the park next morning, he saw something like a red cloud just above the drinking fountain. A red warning of danger. He became very nervous but then saw that it was only a group of toy balloons held by an old man. Lundy had never seen anyone selling balloons here in the three weeks in which he lived nearby; business couldn’t be good, the old man would soon live. But when Lundy came back at evening, he was still there in the same spot near the drinking fountain.

Lundy looked at him in passing; he was old but he looked strong. He might be a younger man in disguise – not a seller of balloons; he might be a detective placed there to watch him. Lundy went home trembling. No one could have seen him put the money away – but suppose that by some accident the money had been found. The police would know that the thief must come back for it; thus they had left a man on guard. But had they left the money there in order to trap him?

The next morning the balloon-seller was still there. That day Lundy went to the bank and risked a question. No, said the manager of the bank, they hadn’t found the money, but they expected to find it. It seemed to Lundy that the manager looked at him in a rather suspicious manner.

That evening he spoke, in passing, to the balloon-seller.

Hayır; eğer sizi rahatlatacaksa evin her yerini arayabilirsiniz..”

Sonra, sanki biraz fazla abarttığını düşündü. Dedektifler inanmış şekilde evden ayrıldılar ama Lundy, hala kendisini güvende hissetmiyordu. Parayı, bir süre sakladığı yerde bırakması iyi olurdu. Nasıl olsa, parayı onun sakladığı yerde kimse bulamazdı. Gece, parayı bıraktığı yerden alma şansı yoktu. Çünkü, park kilitliydi ve bir de güvenlik görevlisi vardı. Bir gün gündüz vakti, etrafta kimsecikler yokken, çeşmenin öününde ayakkabısını bağlıyormuş gibi eğilecek ve…

Ertesi sabah parka girdiğinde çeşmenin üzerinde kırmızı bir bulut gördü. Kırmızı bir tehlike uyarısı… Lundy, önce çok sinirlendi. Ancak, bu kırmızılığın sebebinin yaşlı bir adamın elindeki bir grup balon olduğunu gördü. Lundy, o çevrede geçirdiği üç hafta boyunca bu parkta hiç kimsenin balon sattığını görmemişti. Bu parkta balon satmak o kadar karlı bir iş olamazdı ve yaşlı adam nasıl olsa yakında giderdi. Akşam üstü tekrar parka geldiğinde, yaşlı adamın hala çeşmenin dibinde olduğunu gördü.

Lundy, adama bakarak yanından geçti. Oldukça yaşlı birisiydi ama kuvvetli görünüyordu. Yaşlı bir balon satıcısı kılığında genç bir adam olabilirdi. Lundy’yi takip etmek için görevlendirilmiş bir dedektif olabilirdi. Lundy eve döndüğünde titriyordu. Kimse parayı koyarken onu görmüş olamazdı. Ancak para kazara da olsa bulunmuş olabilirdi. Polis de, hırsızın parayı koyduğu yerden almak için tekrar geleceğini düşünerek, birisini gözetlemesi için bırakmış olabilirdi. Peki, onu tuzağa düşürmek için parayı yerinde bırakmış olabilirler miydi?
Ertesi sabah balon satıcısı hala oradaydı. Lundy bankaya giderek kendisini riske atacak bir soru sordu. Banka müdürünün, soruya cevabı olumsuzdu. Para bulunamamıştı ama bulacaklarını umuyordu. Lundy, banka müdürünün kendisinden şüphelendiğini hissetti.

Lundy, o akşam geçerken, balon satıcısı ile konuştu:

“You work late, eh? Business must be good.”
“Not so good. But I stay around until they lock the gates each night and the watchman arrives to guard the place.”

There was not a moment when the fountain was not being watched. That was the first night that Lundy couldn’t sleep. In the morning the red cloud was still there, hanging above his treasure.

Well, if business was bad, the balloon-seller would soon leave and go somewhere else to sell his balloons. Lundy waited there more days, in which he saw, morning and evening, that red sign of danger. He couldn’t stand this much longer: a balloon-seller, staying in a place where Lundy had never seen before, couldn’t be a balloon-seller. But, there was one chance, if the police had left the money. Policeman in uniform seldom came here; Lundy could wait for his chance until there was no one around, attack the balloon-seller, knock him out, take the money, and escape before anyone came.

And so he waited his chance, found the old man alone, walked up to him, pretended to by a balloon, then hit him, straight and hard on the jaw. Down went the old man – down and out; down went Lundy on his knees, his arm reaching into the hole at the base of the fountain.
Up into the air went a dozen red balloons, release from the old man’s hand as he fell; a dozen sudden red danger signals which could be seen everywhere in the park and from the nearby streets as well. As Lundy rose, pushing the money into his pocket, he saw a policeman coming up; he turned only to face another, tried to walk away coolly –

“Here!” said the policeman. “What’s the matter with old Joe?”

“I don’t know. I’ve done nothing.” But the balloon man was talking now, explaining to the policeman what had happened. The policeman turned toward Lundy, severe.

“Geç saatlere kadar çalışıyorsunuz, işler iyi olsa gerek” dedi.

“Hayır, çok iyi değil ama her gece kapılar kapanıncaya ve bekçi gelinceye kadar buralarda duruyorum” diye karşılık verdi balon satıcısı.

Çeşmenin, hiç kimse tarafından görülmediği, bir an bile yoktu. Her an balon satıcısı tarafından görülüyordu. O gece Lundy’nin uyuyamadığı ilk geceydi. Ertesi sabah kırmızı bulut hala orada, hazinesinin başında duruyordu.
Aslında, eğer işler kötüyse, balon satıcısı yakında buradan ayrılıp, başka bir yere gitmek zorunda kalacaktı. Lundy, günlerce bekledi ve her gün kırmızı tehlike işaretini orada gördü. Bu duruma dayanamadı. Daha önce bu civarda hiç görmediği bir balon satıcısının, sürekli burada beklediğine göre, gerçek bir balon satıcısı olamazdı. Eğer polis, parayı orada bırakmışsa hala bir şansı vardı. Üniformalı polisler buraya pek gelmezlerdi. Etrafta hiç kimse yokken, balon satıcısına saldırıp onu yere yıkar, parayı alır ve birileri gelmeden kaçabilirdi.

Lundy, uygun fırsatı kolladı. Yaşlı adamı tek kaldığı bir anda, balon alıyormuş gibi yaparak ona doğru yürüdü. Adamın doğruca çenesine, sert bir yumruk attı. Yaşlı adam yere düştü ve sersemledi. Lundy, hemen diz üstü çökerek çeşmenin tabanındaki yarığa doğru elini uzattı.

Bu arada, yere düşen yaşlı adamın elinden kurtulan balonlar gökyüzüne doğru yükseldi. Parktaki ve caddedeki insanlar tarafından rahatlıkla görülebilecek bir düzine tehlike işareti Lundy için büyük tehlike oluşturacaktı. Lundy, parayı cebine koyup ayağa kalkarken dönüp bir polis ile göz göze geldi. Sakin yürümeye çalışırken karşısına başka bir polis çıktı.

“Bak hele!” diye bağırdı polis. “Yaşlı Joe’nun nesi var?”

“Bilmiyorum, ben bir şey yapmadım” dedi Lundy. Fakat yaşlı balon satıcısı kendine gelmiş ve olup biteni anlatmaya başlamıştı bile. Polis, sertçe Lundy’ye doğru dönerek, kızgın bir tavırla sordu:

“What’s the idea of knocking down an old man that’s just out of the hospital?”
“Just out of the hospital?” Lundy asked.

“Sure. He’s been sick for a month. Haven’t you noticed that for the past month he hasn’t been here, at his regular place near the fountain? First time he’s been away for twenty years….

Hey, you – take your hand out of that pocket! Oh, it isn’t a gun? Just papers? Well, come along with me and show them to the captain at police headquarters.”

“Hastaneden daha yeni çıkmış bir yaşlı bir adama ne diye vuruyorsun?”

Lundy şaşırdı: “Hastaneden yeni çıkmış mı?” diye sordu

“Elbette. Joe bir aydır hastaydı. Bir ay boyunca mekanı olan bu çeşmenin yanının boş olduğunu farketmedin mi? Yirmi yıldır ilk defa yerinden ayrılmıştı…”

“Hey sen! Elini hemen cebinden çıkar! Silah değil, değil mi? Sadece kağıt mı cabindeki? Neyse benimle merkeze kadar gelip onları komsere bir göster bakalım.”

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
John Rossiter's Wife - John Rossiter'ın Karısı - Charles G. Norris (ingilizce-türkçe)

The most fascinating place in the United States is Palm Beach and the most interesting spot in Palm Beach is “Whitney’s.” The name isn’t Whitney’s at all, but anyone who has ever been to Palm Beach will know the establishment to which I refer.

Whitney’s is a restaurant and a gambling place, and sooner or later everybody who comes to Palm Beach visits Whitney’s.

There is no restaurant or hotel in France, Italy, Germany, or Spain whose food can compare with Whitney’s. At Whitney’s there are no menus; you order what you wish from an endless variety of special foods, anything from duck soup to bird’s tongues – and the surprising fact is that you get what you order. But on your first visit to Whitney’s you often pay little attention to what you eat, for very soon, as the room commences to fill, you can hardly believe your eyes. At every table you soon recognize someone who is either famous or notorious.

After lunch this brilliantly dressed group of persons goes down to the gambling room. By two o’clock this room is well filled, by three it is crowded, and it remains so until early hours of the morning. It’s far more interesting and better conducted than Monte Carlo. I was deeply impressed, and soon I welcomed an opportunity to meet Mr. Whitney himself.

We found him in a small, businesslike office hardly large enough to hold the big old-fashioned roll-top desk and a chair or two. Perhaps there was a safe; I can’t remember. The office was protected by some iron bars, and there was a uniformed attendant at the door who admitted us after Mr. Whitney had given the word he would see us.

I found him a man square of jaw, cold of eye, his face rather unexpressive – much what I expected.

Amerika Birleşik Devletleri’nin en büyüleyici yeri Palm Sahili, Palm Sahili’nin en iliginç köşesi de Whitney’in Yeri’dir. Gerçekteki ismi elbetteki bu değil ama, Palm Sahili’ne gelen herkes kastettiğim bu yeri bilir.

Whitney’in Yeri bir restoran, aynı zamanda da bir kumar merkezidir. Palm Sahili’ne gelen herkes er ya da geç burayı mutlaka ziyaret eder.

Fransa, İtalya, Almanya ve İspanya’daki hiç bir otel veya restoranın yaptığı yemekler Whitney’in Yeri’ndekilerle boy ölçüşemez. Whitney’in Yeri’nde menü yoktur, siz sadece ördek çorbasından kuş diline kadar her ne istiyorsanız siparişini veriyorsunuz ve siparişiniz kısa sürede yerine getiriliyor. Ama Whitney’in Yeri’ni ilk ziyaretinizde ne ne yediğinize fazla önem vermezsiniz. Çünkü restoran dolmaya başlayınca gözlerinize inanamazsınız. Her masada ya bir ünlü ya da kötü şöhretli birini görebilirsiniz.

Öğle yemeğinden sonra bu şık giyimli insanlar aşağı kata kumar odasına inerler. Saat iki gibi oda epeyce dolu bir hal alır. Saat üçte iyice kalabalıklaşır ve sabaha kadar bu kalabalık hiç eksilmez. Monte Carlo’ya göre daha ilgi çekici ve daha iyi yönetilen bir yerdir. Ben de bu özelliklerinden çok etkilendim ve çok geçmeden restoran sahibi Bay Whitney ile bizzat tanışma fırsatı da buldum.

Bay Whitney’i içine büyük bir antika yazı masası ve bir veya iki sandalye alabilecek genişlikteki küçük bir ofiste bulduk. Odada tam olarak hatırlayamıyorum ama muhtemelen bir de çelik kasa vardı. Oda demir çubuklarla korunuyordu ve kapıda, Bay Whitney’in görüşmeyi kabul etmesi üzerine bizi içeri davet eden üniformalı bir görevli vardı.

Bay Whitney umduğum gibi birisiydi. Oval çeneli, soğuk bakışlı ve nispeten anlamsız bir yüzü olan bir adamdı.

He runs his gambling place as a business – and it is a matter of pride with him that it is conducted in an efficient, businesslike way. It is said that his profits are two million dollars a season, and I doubt this just as one doubts the salaries of motion picture stars.

However the man had a strong personality. He interested me. I liked him. I wanted to talk to him, but it was difficult. He was not a very communicative person. Soon I asked him how much he lost a season in the way of bad checks and bad debts. He said approximately two hundred thousand dollars, which he didn’t seem to consider heavy. As he spoke of this a light came into his eyes, and a faint smile appeared on his lips.

“I had a rather interesting experience the other day,” he said. “I was sitting in my office one morning when word was brought to me that a lady wanted to see me; ‘Mrs. John Rossiter,’ the man told me. I knew who John Rossiter was, so I told him to show her in.
“Before she said a word she began to cry, not bitterly; but tears came into her eyes and began to run down her cheeks, and she kept wiping them away with her handkerchief, trying all the time to control herself. I don’t like that sort of thing, you know, and I usually avoid it, but this rather impressed me. I felt sorry for her before she opened her mouth.

“Her husband had been gambling, she told me, and on Wednesday – the day before – had lost thirty thousand dollars. I’ve been acquainted with John Rossiter off and on for five or six years. Every year he has been coming down here, and I’ve known him well enough to say ‘Hello,’ but not much more intimately than that. At any rate, I’ve always had a good feeling about Rossiter. He was a clean-cut man, a good sport, well liked, belonged to a club, and was rather popular everywhere. I had seen him year after year here, but I hadn’t an idea of how he played or what he won or lost.

Kumarhanesini bir işyeri edasıyla yönetiyordu ve bu etkili ve işyeri benzeri yönetim de onun için bir gurur kaynağıydı. Sezon başına karının iki milyon dolar olduğu söyleniyordu ama nasıl birisi Hollywood artistlerinin maaşına inanmazsa ben de buna inanmıyordum.

Yine de adam güçlü bir şahsiyete sahipti. Benim de ilgimi çekti, ondan hoşlandım. Onunla konuşmak istedim ama iletişim kurmak konusunda pek istekli birisi değildi. Sonunda bir sezonda ödenmeyen çekler ve borçlardan dolayı ne kadar kaybettiğini sordum. Kendisi için çok olmadığını belli edecek bir tavırla hemen hemen iki yüz bin dolar kaybettiğini söyledi. Bunu söylerken gözleri parladı ve dudaklarında zayıf bir gülüş belirdi.

“Önceki gün oldukça ilginç bir deneyim yaşadım” dedi. Sa-bah ofisimde otururken hizmetkar, bir bayanın benimle görüşmek istediğini, isminin de Bayan John Rossiter olduğunu söyledi. John Rossiter’i tanıdığım için eşiyle görüşmeyi kabul ettim.

Bayan içeri girer girmez daha ağzını açmadan ağlamaya başladı ama şiddetli değil. Gözleri yaş doldu ve yanaklarından süzülmeye başladı. Kendini kontrol etmeye çalıştı. Gözlerinden yanaklarına süzülen yaşları mendiliyle silmeye çalışıyordu. Bu tür olaylardan aslında pek hoşlanmam, hatta kaçınırım ama bu durum beni oldukça etkiledi. Daha ağzından bir tek söz çıkmamasına rağmen onun için üzüntü duydum.

Kocasının bir gün önce – Çarşamba günü – kumarda otuz bin dolar kaybettiğini söyledi. Bay Rossiter’i beş, altı yıldır tanıyorum. Her yıl belli zamanlarda buraya gelir ve ben karşılaştığımızda bir merhaba diyecek kadar onu tanırdım ama daha fazla bir samimiyetimiz yoktu. Yine de onun hakkındaki görüşlerim hep olumlu yönde olmuştu. Bakımlı, atletik, iyi bir kulube mensup, nispeten her yerde popüler bir adamdı. Onu yıllardır burada görmeme rağmen nasıl kumar oynadığı veya ne kazanıp, ne kaybettiği hakkında hiç bir fikrim ve bilgim yoktu.

He had an account with me and always paid very promptly at the end of the month if there was any paying to be done.

“Mrs. Rossiter explained that the great problem of her life had been her husband’s gambling. She had begged him to keep away from the stock market and from cards, and he’d promise her that he’d stop, but then he’d slip and get caught again. The thirty thousand dollars he had lost on Wednesday about cleaned him and his wife out. It meant – oh, I’ve forgotten what she told me exaCTLy: selling the home – it was mortgaged already, she said, taking the two girls out of the school, herself perhaps having to find a position. It was a long story, I don’t remember the details, but I confess that I felt very sorry for her. Taking those two girls out of school was what I believe impressed me, I don’t know why exaCTLy. Well, at any rate, I told her that I didn’t like the idea of anybody coming here and losing everything. Sentiment, if you like, but it’s good business at the same time. It doesn’t help an establishment like this to get a reputation that people can loose everything they have here. The result of it all was that I agreed to give her back the money which her husband had lost, but on one condition, and I made that point very clear: John Rossiter was never to enter my place again. I don’t like that kind of a loser around here. If he hasn’t got the money, he shouldn’t play. She promised me with the tears running down her cheeks, and I gave her the money, and she made me feel like a damn fool by kissing both my hands and asking God to bless me – all that foolishness that a grateful woman feels she has to do when you do her a favor.

Benim yerimde bir hesabı vardı ve ay sonunda, eğer ödenmesi gereken borcu varsa vakit geçirmeden öderdi.

Bayan Rossiter, hayatındaki en büyük problemin kocasının kumar oynaması olduğundan bahsetti. Kocasına borsa ve oyun kağıtlarından uzak durması için yalvardığını, onun da bu kötü alışkanlıklarına bir son vereceğine dair söz verdiğini, ama sonra kaçıp bu illete yakalandığını söyledi. Çarşamba günü kaybettiği otuz bin doların kendilerini çok kötü durumda bırakmış. Yani, tam olarak şöyle demişti: O anda ipotek altında olan evlerini satmışlar, iki kızlarını okuldan almışlar ve kendi de bir iş bulacakmış. Oldukça uzun bir hikaye idi ve ayrıntıları tam olarak hatırlayamıyorum, ama itiraf etmeliyim ki onun adına fazlasıyla üzüntü duydum. Beni asıl etkileyen konu, sanırım iki kızını okuldan almak zorunda kalması oldu. Sebebini de tam olarak bilmiyorum ama yine de ona, insanların buraya gelip her şeylerini kaybetmelerinin hoşuma gitmediğini, duygusallığı bir kenara bırakırsak, aynı zamanda bunun iyi de bir iş olduğunu söyledim. Ancak buraya gelen insanların her şeylerini kaybettiği şeklindeki bir şöhretin, bu tipte bir iş yerine hiç de fayda sağlamayacağı açıktı. Sonuçta, bir şartla, ona kocasının kaybettiği otuz bin doları geri vermeye karar verdim ve bunu da açıkça ifade ettim. “John Rossiter bir daha benim yerime gelmeyecekti.” Buralarda bu şekilde sürekli kaybeden kişilerin bulunmasından hoşlanmadığımı söyledim. Parası yoksa oynamamalı. Gözü yaşlı kadın bana söz verdi. Parayı ona verince, kendimi aptal gibi hissetmeme yol açacak şekilde, iki elime birden sarıldı ve öpmeye, benim için dualar etmeye başladı. Bütün bunlar minnettar bir kadının kendisine yapılan bir iyiliğe karşı olan duygularının ifadesiydi.

“I didn’t think anything more about the affair until the very next afternoon when it was clearly brought back to my mind. My floor manager came to me ant told me that John Rossiter has just come in, and had gone to the gambling room, and was playing at one of the tables. As a rule, I never mix in with what happens outside, but this made me pretty mad, so I walked out there myself.”

“I went straight up to him and said: ‘May I speak to you a minute?’ And when we were off in a corner away from the crowd, I asked him what he meant by coming into my place .”

“’I want to know what this means,’ I demanded. ‘Your wife came to see me yesterday morning and told me about your troubles and about your losing thirty thousand dollars here on Wednesday, and I gave her back the money you’d lost on one condition and that was that you were never to enter my door again. Now, what do you mean by coming here?’”
Rossiter looked at me for a moment. Then he said:

“Why Mr. Whitney, there must be some mistake. I’m not married!”

Ertesi gün öğleden sonra, tekrar hatırıma gelinceye kadar bu olay hakkında hiç bir şey düşünmedim. Kat görevlisi bana geldi ve John Rossiter’in restorana geldiğini, kumar bölümüne gittiğini ve bir masada kumar oynadığını söyledi. Genel kural olarak, asla dışarıda olup bitenlerle ilgilenmem, ama bu durum beni oldukça sinirlendirdi. Dolayısıyla oraya doğru yürümeye başladım.

Doğruca ona doğru yaklaştım ve “Bir dakika konuşabilir miyiz?” dedim. Gözden uzak bir köşeye gittiğimizde; “Buraya gelmekle ne ima etmeye çalışıyorsunuz?” dedim.

Bütün bunların ne anlama geldiğini öğrenmek istediğimi söyledim. “Karınız dün sabah beni görmeye geldi ve sorunlarınızdan ve çarşamba günü kaybettiğiniz otuz bin dolardan bahsetti. Ben de bir şartla parayı geri vereceğimi, şartımın da sizin bir daha buraya adımınızı atmamanız olduğunu söyledim.” “Şimdi buraya gelmekle ne demek istiyorsunuz?” dedim.
Rossiter bir müddet sessizce yüzüme baktı ve sonunda:

“Neden, Bay Whitney? Sanırım bir hata olmuş. Ben evli değilim ki!” dedi…

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
Irene's Sister - Irene'nin Kızkardeşi - Vina Delmar (ingilizce-türkçe özeti)

This is a story of 19_, the year that the schools did not open on time, the year that plague descended and caught us as terrified and as defenseless as though we were inhabitants in some medieval city faced with a new and terrible sickness.

I was a child at that time. My friends and I did not understand. We asked questions but the grown-ups were as confused and as frightened as ourselves. ”It’s infantile paralysis” they told us. “It kills you or else it leaves you crippled forever. Don’t go too close to anybody and don’t touch anything that a strange child has handled”.

Fear held us so completely that we forgot how to laugh or to play. I can remember lying in bed at night waiting for the disease to strike at me. I had no idea what form it might take and lay very quietly praying that when next I wished to move my legs or arms I would be able to do so as I had always done in the past.
There was among us, however, who had no fear of the terrible plague. That girl was Irene Crane. In my mind’s eye I can still see her as she was back there in those difficult days. She was a yellow-haired child with a happy ring to her laughter and the greatest capacity for fun of anyone I’ve ever known. She was the school beauty, popular with teachers and pupils alike and she was not the most intelligent of our group that was easily forgiven for one does not expect to find genius in a flower.

Irene had a sister who was a year younger. Her mother called her Caroline, but outside the house she was known simply as Irene’s sister. It was natural for her to be Irene’s sister just as it was natural for us to be a nameless group of girls known as Irene’s friends.

Bu 1900’lerde ; okulların zamanında açılmadığı, vebanın musallat olduğu ve sanki yeni ve korkunç bir salgınla karşılaşmış ortaçağ şehirlerinin sakinleriymişiz gibi bizi korkmuş ve savunmasız olarak yakaladığı bir yılın hikayesi.

Ben o zamanlar çocuktum. Arkadaşlarım ve ben anlamamıştık. Sorular soruyorduk fakat büyüklerimiz de bizim kadar korkmuş ve şaşkındılar. Bize “bu çocuk felci sizi ya öldürür ya da sizi sonsuza kadar sakat bırakır. Sakın her hangi ibir yabancıya yaklaşmayın ve yabancı bir çocuğun kullandığı herhangi bir şeye dokunmayın” diyorlardı.

Korku tamamen bizi sarmıştı ki gülmeyi ve oyun oynamayı unutmuştuk. Geceleri yatağımda yattığımı ve hastalığın beni yakalamasını beklediğimi hatırlayabiliyorum. Ne şekilde olacağı hakkında hiç bir fikrim yoktu ve sessizce yatıp bir daha ne zaman kollarımı ve ayaklarımı hareket ettiriyor olabileceğimi dileyerek geçmişte her zaman yaptığım gibi dua ediyordum.

Bununla beraber, aramızda bu berbat vebadan korkmayan bir kişi vardı. O kız İrene Crane’ndi. Onun tekrar o zorlu günlerdeki halini hayal edebiliyorum. Gülüşündeki o mutlu izlenimiyle sarı saçlı bir çocuktu ve tanıdığım herkesi eğlendirebilecek en büyük yetenekti. Okulun güzeliydi ve öğrenciler gibi öğretmenler arasında da popülerdi ve grubumuzun en zekisi olmasaydı bile bu kolayca affedilebilirdi zira insan çiçekte zeka bulmayı beklemez.

İrene’nin kendisinden bir yaş küçük bir kız kardeşi vardı. Annesi ona Caroline derdi, ancak evin dışında kısaca İrene’nin kardeşi olarak bilinirdi. Bizim isimsiz kız grubunun İrene’nin arkadaşları olarak bilinmemizin doğal olduğu gibi onun için de İrene’nin kardeşi olmak doğaldı.

Irene was the center of our small world and we revolved about her brilliance and asked for no recognition for ourselves. Irene’s sister, conscious of her inability to compete with the beauty and enhancing manner of Irene was perfeCTLy content to be only a pale reflection of our yellow-haired commander.

Only once were we unable to think with Irene. That was when she said : ”I’m not scared of that infantile paralysis. We won’t get it. You’ll see. None of us will.”

We were ashamed of our fears but there they were just the same.

I can remember the day that we all went over to Ginny Smith’s house for games and light refreshments. For our health’s sake, the grown-ups looked upon the party with some doubts, but for the good of our morale they consented.

“After all”, they said to one another ,”it’s the same group of girls who see each other almost every day anyway. It’ll be all right.”

“It’s the same group except for Irene’s sister “She hadn’t been invited because she was not in our grade at school and Ginny Smith hadn’t known that Irene had a sister.

“It doesn’t matter “Irene said. ”Caroline isn’t feeling well. She has an upset stomach ,I guess.”
The games were fun ,the food was wonderful we thought .It had been a beautiful day in which we all seemed to forget for a while that something strange and terrible walked everywhere about us beyond the pleasant comfort of Ginny Smith’s house. We were just collecting our hats and coats ,ready to leave ,and thanking Ginny for a lovely day when the phone rang.

I can still see Ginny Smith’s mother as she stood talking on that phone. I can see the look of horror that appeared on her face. I can still see the tears that were in her eyes when she hung up the receiver and turned to face us.

İrene ufak dünyamızın merkeziydi ve biz onun parlaklığı etrafında dolanıyorduk ve kendi kendimize hiç bir tanıtım istemiyorduk. İrene’nin gelişen tavırları ve güzelliğiyle rekabet edemeyeceğinin farkında olan İrene’nin kardeşi, bizim sarı saçlı komutanımızın sadece soluk bir yansıması olmaktan tamamen memnundu.

Sadece bir kez İrene’yle beraber düşünemedik? “Şu çocuk felcinden korkmuyorum. Ona yakalanmıyacağız. Göreceksiniz. Hiçbirimiz yakalanmayacak” dediği zamandı.

Kendi korkularımızdan mahçup olduk, ancak o korkular hep oradaydı.

Hafif içecekler ve oyun için Ginny Smith’in evine hep beraber gittiğimiz günü hatırlayabiliyorum. Sağlığımızın hatırı için büyüklerimiz partiyi biraz şüpheli buluyorlardı fakat moralimizin iyi olması için partiyi kabul ettiler.

Birbirlerine “Ne de olsa, her gün bir şekilde birbirlerini gören kızların aynı grubu, sorun olmayacak” diyorlardı.

“İrene’nin kardeşi hariç aynı gruptu.” O partiye davet edilmemişti çünkü okulda bizimle aynı sınıfta değildi ve Ginny Smith İrene’nin bir kardeşi olduğunu bilmiyordu.

İrene “sorun değil, Caroline kendini pek iyi hissetmiyordu. Tahmin edersem midesi bozuk”dedi.
Bizce oyunlar eğlenceliydi, yemekler mükemmeldi. Ginny Smith’in evinin cana yakın rahatlığının dışında, bizimle ilgili her yere berbat ve garip şeyin yayıldığını unutmuş göründüğümüz güzel bir gündü. Tam gitmeye hazırlandığımız, şapkalarımızı ve montlarımızı alıp Ginny’e böyle güzel bir gün için teşekkür ederken telefon çaldı.

Hala Ginny Smith’in annesini telefonda konuşurken kala kaldığını hatırlayabiliyorum. Suratında beliren dehşet ifadesini görebiliyorum. Hala telefonu kapatıp, bize döndüğünde gözlerindeki yaşları görebiliyorum.

“Irene, “ she said in a choked voice.” That was your mother. Your sister has infantile paralysis. You can’t go home. You’ll have to stay here.“ There was a horrible pause .Then “It’s to late for us to be afraid of you child. You‘ve been here all day.”

We went away without touching Irene, some of us without speaking to her. The plague had reached out and struck at us. We hurried home afraid of each other, ashamed of our fear and unable to keep back the thought that tomorrow we would all be attacked by death or lameness.

Irene stayed with the Smith’s I suppose. I don’t know. I hurried home and wrote at once to my father. It must have been an emotional, crazy little letter in which I begged him to come and get me and take me to safety somewhere, anywhere. I did not know that the plague was widespread. I thought it was just in our town. Anyway my father came and took me away. I went happily ,thankfully but I did not known as I went that it would be fifteen years before I ever saw that town again.

I was a woman when I returned to visit and the first night I was back I was surprised to find that my hostess’s living room was decorated as though for a party.

“Just the old group” she explained. ”and their husbands. You remember Ginny Smith, Lila Day the Crane girls and that group.”

A strange feeling of terror ran through me at the mention of the Crane girls. I was a child again frightened before a terrible mysterious force that wanted to kill me.

“I remember them all, ”I said.” How are the Crane girls?”
“The same as ever ,just exaCTLy the same. One popular and one a complete failure “
“It’s cruel to say that “ I protested.” Caroline had paralysis . How can you expect her to be-“

Boğuk bir sesle “İrene” dedi, “ Arayan annendi. Kardeşin çocuk felcine yakalanmış. Eve gidemezsin. Burada kalmak zorundasın.” Korkunç bir bekleyiş oldu. Sonra “Senden korkuyor olmamız için çok geç çocuğum. Bütün gün buradaydın” dedi.

İrene’e dokunmadan, bazılarımız onunla konuşmadan oradan ayrıldık. Veba bize ulaşmış ve bizi vurmuştu. Birbirimizden korkarak, korkumuzdan utanarak ve zaptedmeyi beceremediğimiz yarın ölmüş veya sakatlığa uğramış olma düşüncesiyle aceleyle evlerimize gittik.

Tahmin edersem İrene Smith’lerde kaldı. Bilmiyorum. Ben aceleyle eve gittim ve önce babama mektup yazdım. Babamdan gelmesini ve beni almasını ve beni güvenli herhangi bir yere götürmesi için yalvardığım duygusal ve biraz çılgınca bir mektup olmalıydı. Vebanın çok yayılmış olduğunu bilmiyordum. Sadece bizim kasabamızda olduğunu düşünüyordum. Her neyse babam geldi ve beni alıp götürdü. Mutlu ve minnettar bir şekilde gittim fakat giderken bu kasabayı tekrar görmem için on beş yıl bekeleyeceğimi bilmiyordum.

Ziyaret için geri döndüğümde artık yetişkin bir kadındım ve döndüğüm ilk gece ev sahibemin oturma odasını, sanki bir parti için dekore edilmiş olarak bulduğumda şaşırdım.

“Sadece eski arkadaşlar ve onların kocaları. Ginny Smith, Lila Day, Crane’nin kızları ve o grup” diye açıkladı.

Crane’nin kızlarının adı anıldığında garip bir korku ürpertisi içimden geçti. Tekrar; daha önce beni öldürmek isteyen gizemli, berbat bir gücün korkuttuğu bir çocuktum.

“Hepsini hatırlıyorum” dedim. “Crane’nin kızları nasıl?”

“Öncaden olduğu gibi aynı. Biri popüler ve biri tamamen bir fiyasko.”

“Bunu söylemek acımasızlıktır” diye karşı çıktım. “Caroline felç geçirdi. Ondan nasıl olmasını bekliyorsun?”

“But it’s Irene who is the failure. She is silly. Remember how she used to laugh and play jokes all the time? She is still the same, but now everything she says sound a little silly. But you can’t invite Caroline without inviting Irene so we-“

“But is Caroline well?”

“Of course she is .She had good care and good sense used on her and she is as fine as anyone. A lot finer ,I guess. She went through so much pain and suffering that she has more dept and understanding than most people. She is so strong and dependable. Of course she thanks her doctor and her nurse and her mother for everything and they say that it was Caroline’s patience and courage that helped them to help her. Wait till you see her. She’s-“

It was at that moment the doorbell rang that my hostess’s mother who was looking out of an upstairs window , called us .I’ll never forget her words .She called, ”Daughter, go to the door .It’s Caroline’s sister “

My hostess looked at me and laughed. ”What did I tell you?” she said.

“Fakat fiyasko olan İrene. O aptal…Hatırlıyormusun nasıl gülüp, her zaman şakalar yapardı? Hala aynı, fakat şimdi söylediği herşey biraz aptalca geliyor. Ancak Caroline’i, İrene’nı davet etmeden çagıramazsın, bu yüzden biz de…”

“Fakat Caroline iyi mi?”

“Elbette iyi. Ona iyi dikkat ettiler ve iyi mantıklı davrandılar ve şimdi herkes kadar iyi. Bence çok daha iyi. Çok fazla acı ve ıstırap çekti ve şimdi çoğu insandan daha çok olgunluk ve anlayışa sahip. Çok güçlü ve güvenilir. Elbette doktoruna, hemşiresine ve annesine herşey için teşekkür ediyor ve onlar da Caroline’nin sabır ve cesaretinin onların kendisine yardım etmelerini sağladığını söylüyorlar. Onu görünceye kadar bekle. O…”

Bu sırada kapı çaldı ve üst kattaki camlardan birinden dışarı bakan ev sahibemin annesi bize seslendi. Onun sözlerini asla unutmayacağım. “Kızım kapıya bak. Gelen Caroline’nin kardeşi” dedi.

“Ev sahibem bana baktı ve güldü “Ne demiştim sana?” dedi…

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
Final Break Ian S. Thompson (İngilizce - Türkçe özeti)

They had been walking along Oxford Street. Now they stopped, Greg’s hand on her arm.
"This is the place," he said. "I thought you might get the sort of thing you liked here."
Helen nodded, but there were tears in her eyes as she looked through the shop-window. The new hat had been his idea, not hers.

"What about the black one?" He pointed. "It would go with your suit!"
Her lips trembled. One of the little things she loved so much about him was the really genuine interest he had always taken in what she wore. It had made you feel young, somehow, loved, though in your heart you knew you were young no longer.

"Yes. Yes, it would, wouldn’t it?" She carefully avoided meeting his eyes, because there was so much in her own eyes that he must never see.

They went into the shop. A clerk appeared to wait on them.

Helen described the hat. It was in the window.

She was wishing now that they had never come into the shop. But Greg had been insistent. He wanted to give her something. A parting gift, he had called it.

He was smiling now out of blue, untroubled eyes. Which surprised her. And yet why should it, she asked herself, as she took the hat from the clerk and placed it on her blue-gray hair?

Oxford Caddesi boyunca yürüyorlardı. Ve şimdi Greg’in eli onun kolunun üstünde, durdular.

"İşte burası" dedi. "Düşündüm de, hoşuna gidecek şeyi buradan alabilirsin buradan."

Helen başıyla onayladı, ama vitrinden içeri bakarken gözlerinde yaş vardı. Yeni şapka onun fikriydi, kendinin değil.

"Şu siyah olana ne dersin?" diye eliyle gösterdi. "Elbisenle iyi giderdi."

Kadının dudakları titredi. Onun hakkında bu kadar çok sevdiği yanlarından biri de, kendisinin ne giydiğine gösterdiği gerçekten samimi ilgisiydi. Her ne kadar aslında artık genç olmadığını bilsen de, bu kendini genç ve sevilen biri gibi hissettmeni sağlardı.

"Evet. Evet, iyi giderdi, değil mi?" Özenle onun gözleriyle buluşmaktan kaçındı, çünkü kendi gözlerinde onun görmemesini gerektirecek çok şeyler vardı.

Dükkana girdiler. Bir tezgahtar belirdi yanlarında hizmet etmek için.

Helen şapkayı tarif etti. Vitrinde duruyordu.

Şu anda dükkana hiç gelmemiş olmayı diledi. Ama Greg ısrar etmişti. Ona bir şey vermek istemişti. Bir ayrılık hediyesi demişti adına.

Gülümsüyordu şimdi üzgün olmayan, dertsiz gözlerle. Bu da Helen’i şaşırttı. Ve ama neden diye sordu kendine ? Şapkayı tezgahtardan alıp ve mavi-gri saçlarının üzerine yerleştirdiği anda;

She had always tried to be modern, and part of modernity was to see these things through bravely, when and if they came.

Her mind turned back. And she saw herself in the hat shop mirror, not as someone in a black tailored suit, but as a bride. Smiling, radiant, on Greg’s arm. At least they had said she had looked like that. She had never thought of it, never cared. She had been so completely, so blindly happy.

Five minutes later they were out again in the sunshine of the street and Greg, after looking at his watch, suggested tea.

"I know a place-" There was an expression of excitement in his eyes which she could not understand. "You’ll like it there."

It was a small, very ordinary café in one of the side streets off Oxford Street. He ordered for them both, and then leaned back.

He didn’t speak, but his hand came out across the table and took hers.

"Please, God, don’t let me cry," she prayed. "Not now. Not so long as he’s with me."

The tea arrived. He drank one cup quickly, lit himself a cigarette, and then said:

"You’re quite certain that you want to stay on in that house alone? I mean- well, I feel rather badly about the whole thing, and if there’s anything I could do-"

Her zaman modern olmaya çalışmıştı ve modernliğin bir parçası da gelişen olayları, geldikleri zaman ve şartlarda cesurca karşılamaktı.

Zihni bir an eskilere gitti. Ve şapka dükkanındaki aynada kendini, terziye diktirilmiş siyah bir takım elbise içindeki biri olarak değilde, bir gelin olarak gördü. Greg’in kollarında gülümseyen ve mutluluktan uçan. Herkes öyle göründüğünü söylemişti. Bunu hiç aklına getirmemiş, hiç umursamamıştı. Şimdiye kadar öylesine bütünüyle ve kör bir şekilde mutlu olmuştu ki…

Beş dakika sonra tekrar dışarıda, güneş ışığıyla parlayan caddedeydiler ve Greg, saatine baktıktan sonra, çay içme teklifinde bulundu.

"Bir yer biliyorum_" Gözlerinde, Helen’in anlayamadığı bir heyecan ifadesi vardı. "Orayı seveceksin."
Bu Oxford Caddesi’nden uzak yan caddelerden birinde küçük, oldukça sıradan bir kafeydi. İkisi için de sipariş verdi, ve sonra geriye yaslandı.

Konuşmadı, ama eli masanın üzerinden uzanıp Helen’in ellerini tuttu.

"Lütfen, Tanrım, ağlamama izin verme," diye yalvardı Helen. "Şimdi olmasın. Benimle birlikte olduğu süre boyunca değil."

Çaylar geldi. Bir Fincanı çabucak içti, kendine bir sigara yaktı, ve şöyle dedi:

"O evde tek başına kalmak istediğinden tamamen emin misin? Demek istediğim- yani, bütün bu olanlar hakkında kendimi oldukça kötü hissediyorum, ve eğer yapabileceğim bir şey varsa_"

There was one thing, but it would have been hysterical weakness to have suggested it. She shook her head. She didn’t want him to have any feelings of regret, any pains of conscience. It had been wonderful having him for all those years.

"No, really," she said. "It’ll be all right."

But he still didn’t seem satisfied.

"There’s another thing I’d like to mention," he said. "I didn’t say anything about it before because I know- well, I know how sensitive you are about that sort of thing- " He broke off and then went hurriedly on, his eyes avoiding hers. "It’s money. I’ve arranged with the bank…"

The color came at once to her cheeks. Not because of any false pride. That was a luxury you couldn’t afford if you had no one to support you. But-

"Oh, Greg, you shouldn’t," she said with embarrassment.

He brushed that aside. Angrily almost.

"Why not? It’s something I want to do. And Sandra- " He mentioned the girl’s name- "She agrees. We were talking about it last night."

Sandra…. We…. How easily, familiarly, he spoke of her. Helen thought with an ache. And yet two months ago they hadn’t even met. Two months…. Was it really only that time since he’d gone up to London on that business trip?

She had realized, of course, after he came back, that there was something, although he hadn’t actually said a word then. Some deep-rooted woman’s instinct had warned her that he wasn’t all hers any longer, that she was sharing him with someone else.

Bir şey vardı, ama bunu teklif etmek histerik bir zayıflık olurdu. Başını iki yana salladı. Onun hiç bir pişmanlık ya da vicdan azabı duymasını istemiyordu. Yıllardır ona sahip olmak bile çok güzeldi.
"Hayır, gerçekten, dedi Helen. "Yakında düzelir."

Ama o halen tatmin olmuş görünmüyordu.

"Bahsetmek istediğim başka bir şey var," dedi. "Daha önce bunun hakkında hiç bir şey söylemedim çünkü biliyorum- yani, bu tür konularda ne kadar duyarlı olduğunu-" Konuşmasını birden kesti ve sonra aceleyle devam etti, gözlerini ondan kaçırarak. "Konu para. Bankayla ilgili düzenlemeleri yaptım…"

Hemen yanaklarına renk geldi. Bu hiç de sahte bir gurur nedeniyle değildi. Eğer sana destek olacak kimsen yoksa; gurur konusu yapmayacağın bir lüx sayılırdı. Ama-

"Ah, Greg, yapmamalıdın," dedi utanarak.

O buna aldırmadı bile. Neredeyse sinirli şekilde.

"Neden olmasın? Bu yapmak istediğim bir şey. Ve Sandra-" Kızın ismini söyledi- "O da aynı fikirde. Geçen gece bu konu hakkında konuşuyorduk."

Sandra…. Biz…. Ne kadar da kolay ve samimi bir ifadeyle konuştu onun hakkında, diye düşündü Helen acı içinde. Ve iki ay önce henüz tanışmamışlardı bile. İki ay…. Gerçekten de, şu iş gezisi için Londra’ya gitmiş olması gerçekten bu kadar mıydı?

O döndükten sonra elbette farketmişti bir şeyler olduğunu, her ne kadar o zamanlar gerçekten bir kelime bile etmediyse de. Bir çeşit derinden gelen kadın içgüdüsü, kendisine artık tamamen sahip olmadığı ve onu bir başkasıyla paylaşıyor olduğu hususunda onu uyarmıştı.

A girl. Young, fresh, and lovely. The imagined picture had filled her with a sense of panic. He had changed his job for a better one and gone up to live in London. For a month she hadn’t seen him. And she had never met the girl.

Sandra… She worked in the advertising business, he had told her. And very clever. But that didn’t matter to Helen. When you have loved somebody with every part of you, you did not think of cleverness in considering that younger person to whom you were losing him.

Was she really nice? Would she work to keep him happy as you had tried to do?

But Sandra,… The name had a sharp quality. You couldn’t imagine a girl with a name like that being- Helen’s eyes were drawn to a girl who had just walked into the café, who was looking around hesitantly- well like that, for instance.

Then the girl turned. She was beautiful, with a shy, sweet loveliness that caught at your heart. Helen stayed, quite unconscious that she was staring. And then her eyes widened in surprise as she saw Greg rise to his feet. The girl was hurrying towards their table.

"So you were able to get here, darling!" She heard Greg’s voice and then he had turned, was smiling down at her. "A little surprise," he said. "This is Sandra, Mother. Tomorrow’s happy bride!"

Bir kız. Genç, canlı ve sevimli. Hayalindeki resim, onu bir panik duygusuyla doldurdu. Greg ise işini daha iyi bir işle değiştirmişti ve yaşamak için Londra’da gitmişti. Bir ay boyunca onu görmemişti. Ve kızı da daha önce hiç görmemişti.

Sandra… Reklamcılık işinde çalıştığını söylemişti kendisine. Ve çok da zeki olduğunu. Ama bu Helen için önemli değildi. Birini tüm kalbinizle sevdiğinizde, bu sevdiğiniz kişiyi, uğruna kaybediyor olduğunuz daha genç insanın zekiliğini asla umursamazdınız.

Gerçekten güzel miydi? Senin uğraşmış olduğun kadar onu mutlu etmek için uğraşır mıydı?
Ama Sandra,… İsminin belirgin bir kalitesi vardı. Bunun gibi bir ismi olan bir kızın böyle- Helen’in gözleri, kafeye yeni girmiş ve kararsızca etrafına bakınmakta olan bir kıza takıldı- mesela böyle biri olabileceğini hayal bile edemezdiniz.

Sonra kız döndü. Kalbinizi yakalayan, utangaç ve sevimli çekiciliğiyle güzel bir kızdı. Helen kızın bakındığını görünce bilinçsizce bakakalmıştı. Ve sonra Greg’in ayağa kalktığını görünce şaşkınlıktan gözleri daha da açıldı. Kız onların masasına doğru hızla yaklaşıyordu.

"Demek buraya gelebildin, sevgilim!" diyen Greg’in sesini duydu; ve sonra Greg dönmüş, kendisine gülümseyerek bakıyordu. "Küçük bir süpriz," dedi Greg. "Anne, bu Sandra. Yarının mutlu gelini!"

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
Decision Roy Hilligoss (İngilizce ve Türkçe özeti)

Even after a year, Chad still called us Aunt Pat and Uncle Bill. But we thought our job had become that of mother and father – until that letter arrived from the 6th Artillery headquarters in North Africa in our mailbox in East Orange, New Jersey.
Chad had come to us as an English refugee. He was supposed to stay until they had put “Mr. Hitler in the bag,” as he expressed it, and he could go back to his adored father, Major Jollison of the Royal Artillery. In other words, he had been sent to the United States like many other English children to live with an American family for the duration of the war, after which time he planned to return home to London.
But Major Jollison had been killed while resisting a Nazi tank attack in the North African desert.
Chad had taken the news without the slightest show of emotion. Probably Pat and I alone realized the sharp pain that must have torn through his young heart when he learned that his father was dead. He was English and his people were fighting a desperate battle, so he could not let his own individual tragedy show.
England meant much to him, but when he had recovered a little from the shock he seemed resigned to living with us and becoming an American. He had had no one else but his father.
“I shall try very hard,” he told us seriously in that thin, rather sharp voice of his, “to be as you would want your own boy to be. I shall get onto your American ways as quickly as I can and try to make you quite proud of me.”

Aradan bir yıl geçmesine rağmen, Chad bizi, Pat teyze ve Bill amca diye çağırıyordu. Ama biz ona, ana baba gibi davranma yönünde kendimizi sorumlu hissediyorduk. Taki, Kuzey Afrika’daki 6ncı Topçu Alayı’ndan, New Jersey’nin, Doğu Orange kasabasında bulunan evimizin posta kutusuna gelen mektubu okuyana kadar.
Chad, bizim yanımıza bir İngiliz mülteci olarak gelmişti. Onun sözüyle İngilizler’in, Hitler’in işini bitireceği ve çok sevdiği babası, Kraliyet Topçu Birliği’nden Binbaşı Jollison’un yanına geri döneceği zamana kadar kalmak üzere gelmişti. Başka bir deyişle, diğer bir çok çocuk gibi, o da Amerika’ya savaş sona erinceye kadar bir Amerikan ailesinin yanında kalması için gönderilmişti. Belli bir süre sonra da Londra’ya, memleketine geri dönmeyi planlıyordu.
Ama Binbaşı Jollison, Kuzey Afrika Çölü’nde, bir Nazi Tank taarruzuna karşı koyarken ölmüştü.
Chad babasının ölümünü öğrendiği zaman, yüzünde en küçük bir üzüntü emaresi belirmedi. Ancak Pat ve ben, babasının ölüm haberini aldığı zaman gencecik kalbini yırtarcasına batan keskin bir acı saplandığını hissettik. Ama o bir İngiliz idi ve halkı ümitsiz bir savaşın göbeğinde mücadele veriyordu. Öyleyse, kendi kişisel üzüntülerini göstermeye hakkı yoktu.
İngiltere, ona çok şey ifade ediyordu, ama şoktan kendini biraz kurtardıktan sonra, kaderine boyun eğmiş görünerek, bizimle yaşamaya ve bir Amerikan olmaya razı oldu. Babasından başka hiç kimsesi de yoktu zaten.
O ince ve nispeten keskin sesiyle, gayet ciddi bir şekilde: “Bütün gücümle kendi oğlunuzun nasıl olmasını istiyorsanız öyle bir çocuk olmaya çalışacağım. Amerikan yaşayış tarzına, gelenek ve göreneklerine, yapabildiğim kadar çabuk ayak uydurarak, benimle gurur duymanızı sağlayacağım” dedi ve

He smiled. “I shall even admire your Revolutionary patriots.”
So we could not help loving him, you see, and hoping he really wanted to stay with us forever, even after the war had ended.
He did brilliantly, and an early problem – the way the other boys at school kidded him about his English accent and manners – had disappeared. Everyone in town knew how bravely his father had died, and this gave Chad a certain romantic interest.
In fact everything had gone beautifully – till that letter came from a member of the 6th Artillery, Captain Burroughs. The 6th Artillery had been Major Jollison’s military unit.
Pat held the letter out to me one evening, the moment I came in the door. But she was too upset emotionally to wait until I read it.
“He was terribly fond of Chad’s father, Bill,” she said. “And he’d like to offer Chad a place to live – with his mother in her home just outside London.”
I looked up from letter. “He says he recognizes the danger.”
“But he’s like all Englishmen, I suppose,” Pat said. “Rain or shine, bombs or no bombs, they think that England is the only place in the world to live. And of course he thinks Chad will be company for his mother. She’s old and alone…. Oh, Bill, do you think he’ll go?”
I shook my head. “I don’t know. But I’ve been afraid he would some day.”
“But he has no relatives there. Surely he’d rather be with us….”
“It’s like you said – rain or shine. And he’s not really our boy, Pat; we just hope he would be, and he’s tried to pretend.”

gülerek ekledi: “Hatta sizin bağımsızlık savaşı kahramanlarınıza da hayran olacağım.”
Böyle bir çocuğu sevmemek imkansızdı. Hatta onu o kadar çok seviyorduk ki, savaş sona erdikten sonra da, bizimle her zaman kalacağını umuyorduk.
Çok çabuk yaşam koşullarımıza ayak uydurdu ama kısa bir süre sonra karşılaştığımız bir problem – Okuldaki diğer çocukların, onun İngiliz aksanıyla ve tarzıyla alay etmeleri – de ortadan kalktı. Şehirdeki herkes, babasının ne kadar cesurca öldüğünü biliyordu. Bu da Chad’e bir sempati kazandırıyordu.
6ncı Topçu Alayı’ndan Yüzbaşı Burroughs tarafından gönderilen mektup bize ulaşana kadar her şey gayet güzel gidiyordu. 6 ncı Topçu Alayı, Binbaşı Jollison’un askeri birliğiydi.
Pat, bir akşam eve geldiğimde, kapıdan girer girmez, mektubu bana uzattı. O kadar üzgün ve duygu yüklüydü ki ben mektubu okuyuncaya kadar zor sabretti.
“Chad’in babasını çok severmiş, Bill ve Chad’e Londra’nın biraz dışında kendi annesinin evinde yaşamayı öneriyor” dedi.
Mektuptan kafamı kaldırdım ve: “Tehlikenin farkında olduğunu söylüyor” dedim.
Pat heyecanla: “Ama o da bütün diğer İngilizler gibi. Yağmur veya güneş; bomba olsun veya olmasın; hepsi, İngiltere’nin dünya üzerinde yaşanabilecek tek yer olduğunu düşünürler. Chad’in annesine can yoldaşlığı yapacağını söylüyor. O yaşlı ve yalnız bir kadın… Bill, sence gerçekten de gider mi?”
Kafamı salladım: “Bilmiyorum. Ama uzun zamandır bir gün gitmesinden korkuyordum” dedim.
“Ama orada hiç akrabası yok. Şüphesiz bizimle kalmayı tercih eder” dedi Pat.
“Senin de dediğin gibi yağmur veya güneş. Zaten o, bizim çocuğumuz da değil Pat. Biz sadece onun bizim oğlumuz olmasını istedik, o da öyle yapmaya çalıştı, hepsi bu” dedim.

She sighed. “I know, I was only hoping, not talking sense. Well…” she took my arm, “ – let’s go up to his room and tell him.”
Chad was lying on his small stomach, reading, when we entered his room. He got quickly to his feet and shook my hand – he always did that when I got home evenings. “How’d the stock market go today, Uncle Bill?” He was picking up our ways fast.
I handed him the letter.
I watched his blue eyes move quickly back and forth across the page, and when they reached the bottom they stayed there. He was thinking rapidly. Suddenly I knew he’d made his decision because his face lost all expression: a habit of his.
“Are you going dear?” Pat asked softly.
He nodded. “I must, Aunt Pat.”
“They’re raining bombs on London, son,” I said.
“I know,” he said. “That’s why I’m going.”
“I don’t understand,” I said.
“I mean…” for a moment he paused,” – well, when your country’s having its most difficult times, that’s when it needs you most.”
That sounded a bit too grown-up, too like something he had read somewhere. I looked suspiciously at him, but his eyes met mine bravely. “All right, son,” I said. “I’m sorry, but if you….”
“I’m sorry too,” he said quickly. “Really, Uncle Bill. But I must go.”
“I’d better finish getting dinner,” Pat said in a queer voice, and left us.
“And I have to wash,” Chad said steadily.
I was left, staring down at the letter from Captain Burroughs, already missing these strange youngster as if he’d been all our own from the very start.

Pat derin bir iç çekti: “Biliyorum, sadece öyle olmasını umuyorum, duygusal konuşmak amacında değilim. Yani…” elimi tuttu ve “Haydi, odasına gidip ona söyleyelim” dedi.
Odaya girdiğimizde, Chad uzanmış kitap okuyordu. Her akşam eve geldiğimde yaptığı gibi, ayağa kalktı ve elimi sıktı. “Bugün borsa nasıl gitti?” dye sordu. Bizim yaşamımıza çabuk ayak uyduruyordu.
Mektubu ona uzattım. Mavi gözlerinin sayfanın sağına soluna süratle hareket edişini seyrettim. Sayfanın sonuna geldiğinde gözleri orada kaldı. Hızlı düşünüyordu. Birden, kararını verdiğini anladım. Çünkü, yüzündeki bütün o ifade silinmişti. Bu, onun bir alışkanlığıydı.
“Gidiyor musun, hayatım?” diye sordu Pat, hafifçe.
Onaylarcasına kafa salladı: “Gitmeliyim, Pat teyze” dedi.
“Londra’nın üstüne yağmur gibi bomba yağdırıyorlar, evlat” dedim.
“Biliyorum, zaten bu yüzden gidiyorum” dedi.
“Anlamıyorum” dedim.
“Söylemek istediğim…” bir süre durakladı ve “Yani, ülkenizin en zor zamanlarını yaşadığı an, size en fazla ihtiyaç duyduğu andır” dedi.
Bu sözler bir parça, çok daha büyük insanların söylediği sözler gibi göründü. Sanki bir yerlerden okumuştu. Şüpheli bir şekilde ona baktım ama gözlerini cesurca benimkilere dikti. “Pekala, evlat” dedim. “Üzgünüm, ama eğer…”
“ Ben de üzgünüm” dedi hemen. “Gerçekten, Bill Amca. Ama gitmek zorundayım.”
“Ben akşam yemeğini hazırlasam iyi olacak” dedi Pat garip bir ses tonuyla ve odadan ayrıldı.
“Ben de duş almalıyım” dedi Chad.
Ben, Yüzbaşı Burroughs’dan gelen mektuba bakar halde kaldım. Şimdiden bu yabancı çocuğu, sanki doğduğundan beri bizimleymiş gibi özlediğimi hissettim.

We didn’t talk much about his going. But we might as well have discussed it constantly; it certainly was with us every moment. From that first night, on through the week following, there were few signs of cheerfulness in our house.
But the evening I came home with final details about his trip to New York, where a friend of mine would take charge and get him safely onto the boat…well, that about finished it. Chad’s quiet unrevealing face didn’t change a bit, but Pat looked at me as if I would struck her. I knew how she felt.
Late that night I woke up, frightened, sure I had heard Chad crying in the next room. But it was Pat.
“You are crying, darling?”
“Of course,” she said shakily. “Oh, Bill, it hurts to lose him.”
I held her close. “I know so well,” I said. “He’s like our own boy.”
And then so quickly, it was the day for Chad to leave us. I had stayed home to drive him to the station, but Pat wasn’t going alone. She said she simply couldn’t take it.
The three of us were standing in the doorway, just standing there with little to say. Chad was wearing the same clothes he had come to America in – he had wanted to wear them – the short coat, the small cap, the wool stockings that left his knees bear. But when we had first seen him on a dock in New York, he had been looking about him defiantly, with his chin out, trying to hide his fears; now his face was serious, his lower lip pulled slightly in.
“I’ve been happy here,” he said.
He was interrupted by the mailman, who handed a letter to Pat. She passed it on to me.
“Goodbye, Chad,” she said weakly. ”Always remember that we….”

Gidişi hakkında fazla konuşmadık. Yine de sürekli bu konu hakkında tartıştık. Çünkü bu konu her an bizimle birlikteydi. Bu ilk geceden itibaren, geçen bir hafta boyunca evimizde çok az bir mutluluk havası vardı.
O akşam eve, onun New York’a gidişiyle ilgili son detaylarla geldim. New York’ta da bir arkadaşım ona göz kulak olup, güvenle gemiye binmesini sağlayacaktı. İşte o anda, evde kalan son mutluluk ışıkları da söndü.
Chad sakindi. Anlamsız yüz ifadesinde hiç değişiklik olmadı. Ama pat, sanki onu fena halde hırpalamışım gibi bakıyordu bana. Neler hissettiğini biliyordum.
Gece geç saatte, Chad’in olduğuna emin olduğum bir ağlama sesiyle irkildim. Ama ağlayan, Pat idi.
“Ağlıyor musun, hayatım?” diye sordum.
“Elbette” dedi titreyen sesiyle. “Onu kaybetmek çok acı veriyor.”
Onu kucakladım ve: “Çok iyi biliyorum” dedim. “ Sanki bizim öz oğlumuz gibi.”
Sonra kısa sürede, Chad’in bizden ayrılacağı gün geldi çattı. Ben, onu istasyona götürmek için evde kalmıştım ama Pat, buna kolayca katlanamayacağı için gelmeyeceğini söyledi.
Üçümüz de kapının girişinde, birbirimizle fazla konuşmadan ayakta duruyorduk. Chad, Amerika’ya ilk geldiği zaman giydiği kıyafetlerini giymişti. Kendisi, onları giymek istemişti; kısa bir palto, küçük bir şapka, dizlerine kadar gelen yün çoraplar… Onu, New York’ta limanda ilk gördüğümüzde, buraya geldiğine hiç memnun olmamış gibi bakıyordu. Çenesi dışardaydı ve korkularını gizlemeye çalışıyordu. Şimdi ise yüzünde ciddi bir ifade vardı. Alt dudağı biraz daha diğerine yakındı.
“Burada çok mutluydum” dedi.
Postacı daha fazla konuşmasına engel oldu. Pat’a bir mektup uzattı. Pat mektubu bana verdi. Chad’e dönerek:
“Güle güle, Chad. Her zaman hatırla ki biz…”

“Wait,” I broke in. ”This letter’s from Captain Burroughs.” But my enthusiasm was short – lived. “It’s just a little consolation,” I said. “He says we won’t have to worry about Chad. Mrs. Burroughs is being removed to Australia and Chad is supposed to join her there. There won’t be any bombs anywhere.”
“That’s something,” Pat said.
But Chad was suddenly all animation. “Then I don’t have to go!”
Pat dropped to her knees and stared at him. “You don’t have to go? Didn’t you want to go?”
“Why, no,” Chad said. “But she was a very old lady and all alone in the bombings. I thought I would be able to protect her. But now that she’s been sent to Australia….”
“Why on earth didn’t you tell us how you felt? I demanded.
He seemed a little embarrassed. “I was afraid, “ he said, “that it might seem forward of me to think I could protect Mrs. Burroughs. And I knew you wouldn’t want a son who was forward.”
Pat was half-laughing, half-crying, and hugging wildly. To cover my own feelings I said with an imitation English accent, “then you’re quite happy now, old boy?”
“Quite happy?”. He smiled up at me. “Uncle Bill, I feel like a million bucks!”
Chad Jollison – American schoolboy, our boy.

“Dur!” diye araya girdim. “Bu mektup Yüzbaşı Burroughs’dan.” Ama heyecanım uzun sürmedi: “Yalnızca teselli etmek için yazmış. Chad için endişelenmemizi istiyor. Bayan Burroughs’un Avusturalya’ya gönderildiğini ve Chad’in de ona, orada katılacağını, orada da hiç bomba olmayacağını yazıyor” dedim.
“Bu da bir şey” dedi Pat.
Ama Chad birden, büyük bir coşkuyla:
“O halde gitmeme gerek yok!” dedi.
Pat dizlerinin üzerine düştü ve ona bakakaldı:
“Gitmek zorunda değil misin? Gitmek istemiyor muydun?” diye sordu.
“Neden? Tabi ki hayır” dedi Chad. “Ama o çok yaşlı bir kadındı ve bombaların altında yalnızdı. Ben onu koruyabileceğimi düşünmüştüm. Ama madem ki şimdi o Avustralya’ya gönderildi…”
“Neden daha önce neler hissettiğini bize söylemedin?” diye çıkıştım.
Biraz utanmış görünerek: “Korktum” dedi. “Bayan Burroughs’u korumaya çalışmam bir küstahlık olarak görülür ve siz de küstah bir oğul istemezsiniz diye korktum.”
Pat yarı ağlar, yarı güler bir halde çılgınca ona sarılıyordu. Ben de duygularımı gizlemeye çalışarak, taklit İngiliz aksanıyla: “O halde şimdi gerçekten mutlusun, ihtiyar çocuk” dedim.
“Çok mutlu” gülerek yüzüme baktı ve “Bill Amca, kendimi bulutların üstünde hissediyorum” dedi.
Chad Jollison: Amerikalı öğrenci, bizim oğlumuz…

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Preface
A preface to the first edition of “Jane Eyre” being unnecessary, I gave none: this second edition demands a few words both of acknowledgment and miscellaneous remark.
My thanks are due in three quarters.
To the Public, for the indulgent ear it has inclined to a plain tale with few pretensions.
To the Press, for the fair field its honest suffrage has opened to an obscure aspirant.
To my Publishers, for the aid their tact, their energy, their practical sense and frank liberality have afforded an unknown and unrecommended Author.
The Press and the Public are but vague personifications for me, and I must thank them in vague terms; but my Publishers are definite: so are certain generous critics who have encouraged me as only large-hearted and high-minded men know how to encourage a struggling stranger; to them, i.e., to my Publishers and the select Reviewers, I say cordially, Gentlemen, I thank you from my heart.
Having thus acknowledged what I owe those who have aided and approved me, I turn to another class; a small one, so far as I know, but not, therefore, to be overlooked. I mean the timorous or carping few who doubt the tendency of such books as “Jane Eyre:” in whose eyes whatever is unusual is wrong; whose ears detect in each protest against bigotry—that parent of crime—an insult to piety, that regent of God on earth. I would suggest to such doubters certain obvious distinctions; I would remind them of certain simple truths.
Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion. To attack the first is not to assail the last. To pluck the mask from the face of the Pharisee, is not to lift an impious hand to the Crown of Thorns.
These things and deeds are diametrically opposed: they are as distinct as is vice from virtue. Men too often confound them: they should not be confounded: appearance should not be mistaken for truth; narrow human doctrines, that only tend to elate and magnify a few, should not be substituted for the world- redeeming creed of Christ. There is—I repeat it—a difference; and it is a good, and not a bad action to mark broadly and clearly the line of separation between them.
The world may not like to see these ideas dissevered, for it has been accustomed to blend them; finding it convenient to make external show pass for sterling worth—to let white-washed walls vouch for clean shrines. It may hate him who dares to scrutinise and expose—to rase the gilding, and show base metal under it—to penetrate the sepulchre, and reveal charnel relics: but hate as it will, it is indebted to him.
Ahab did not like Micaiah, because he never prophesied good concerning him, but evil; probably he liked the sycophant son of Chenaannah better; yet might Ahab have escaped a bloody death, had he but stopped his ears to flattery, and opened them to faithful counsel.
There is a man in our own days whose words are not framed to tickle delicate ears: who, to my thinking, comes before the great ones of society, much as the son of Imlah came before the throned Kings of Judah and Israel; and who speaks truth as deep, with a power as prophet-like and as vital—a mien as dauntless and as daring. Is the satirist of “Vanity Fair” admired in high places? I cannot tell; but I think if some of those amongst whom he hurls the Greek fire of his sarcasm, and over whom he flashes the levin-brand of his denunciation, were to take his warnings in time—they or their seed might yet escape a fatal Rimoth-Gilead.
Why have I alluded to this man? I have alluded to him, Reader, because I think I see in him an intellect profounder and more unique than his contemporaries have yet recognised; because I regard him as the first social regenerator of the day—as the very master of that working corps who would restore to rectitude the warped system of things; because I think no commentator on his writings has yet found the comparison

Summary
Jane Eyre was published in 1847 and is a form of fictionalised autobiography of its author. It follows the fortunes or lack thereof of the eponymous heroine who begins her life as a girl orphaned without a penny to her name. She is left in the care of her aunt, Mrs Reed, who treats her in an unfriendly and often a cruel manner. This leads to a spirited escape - taking Jane to the charitable Lowood Institution (Charlotte Brontл herself attended the similar Cowan Bridge institute). This alone was enough for the book to be considered unsuitable for young ladies - even though it never veers from the accepted moral codes of the period. After a time with the kind Miss Temple and a fellow orphan, Jane moves to a post teaching the illegitimate child of a Mr Rochester. This unconventional hero figure finds himself drawn to Jane not for her (plain) face but for her intellect and spark. The story follows the difficulties they face as the truth of Rochester's earlier marriage to a mad Creole woman emerge and the new life Jane attempts to make under the false impression that Rochester is an evil and heartless bigamist. The novel inspired the feminist criticism of the 1980s through Gilbert and Gulbar's The Madwoman in the Attic in which unstable female characters in such literature were presented as proof of the suppression of the feminine.

It is a cold, wet November afternoon when the novel opens at Gateshead, the home of Jane Eyre’s relatives, the Reeds. Jane and the Reed children, Eliza, John, and Georgiana sit in the drawing room. Jane’s aunt is angry with her, purposely excluding her from the rest of the family, so Jane sits alone in a window seat, reading Bewick’s History of British Birds.
As she quietly reads, her cousin John torments her, reminding her of her precarious position within the household. As orphaned niece of Mrs. Reed, she should not be allowed to live with gentlemen’s children. John throws a book at Jane and she calls him a “murderer” and “slave-driver.” The two children fight, and Jane is blamed for the quarrel. As punishment, she is banished to the red-room.

This opening chapter sets up two of the primary themes in the novel: class conflict and gender difference. As a poor orphan living with relatives, Jane feels alienated from the rest of the Reed family, and they certainly do nothing to make her feel more comfortable. John Reed says to Jane: “You have no business to take our books; you are a dependant, mamma says; you have no money; your father left you none; you ought to beg, and not to live here with gentleman’s children like us . . . .” John claims the rights of the gentleman, implying that Jane’s family was from a lower class. She appears to exist in a no-man’s land between the upper and servant classes. By calling John a “murderer,” “slave-driver” and “Roman emperor,” Jane emphasizes the corruption that is inherent in the ruling classes. Her class difference translates into physical difference, and Jane believes that she is physically inferior to the Reed children.

Jane’s argument with John also points to the potential gender conflicts within the text. Not only is Jane at a disadvantage because of her class status, but her position as female leaves her vulnerable to the rules of a patriarchal tyrant. John is an over-indulged only son, described by Jane as “unwholesome” and “thick,” someone who habitually gorges himself. Contrasting with Jane’s thin, modest appearance, John Reed is a picture of excess: his gluttony feeds his violent emotions, such as constant bullying and punishing of Jane. One of Jane’s goals throughout the book will be to create an individual place for herself, free of the tyrannies of her aunt’s class superiority and her cousin’s gender dominance. By fighting back when John and his mother torment her, Jane refuses the passivity that was expected for a woman in her class position.
Jane’s situation as she sits reading Bewick’s History of Birds provides significant imagery. The red curtains that enclose Jane in her isolated window seat connect with the imagery of the red-room to which Jane is banished at the end of the chapter. The color red is symbolic. Connoting fire and passion, red offers vitality, but also the potential to burn everything that comes in its way to ash. The symbolic energy of the red curtains contrast with the dreary November day that Jane watches outside her window: “a pale blank of mist and cloud.” Throughout the book, passion and fire will contrast with paleness and ice. Jane’s choice of books is also significant in this scene. Like a bird, she would like the freedom of flying away from the alienation she feels at the Reed’s house. The situation of the sea fowl that inhabit “solitary rocks and promontories,” is similar to Jane’s: Like them, she lives in isolation. The extreme climate of the birds’ homes in the Arctic, “that reservoir of frost and snow,” the “death-white realms,” again creates a contrast with the fire that explodes later in the chapter during John and Jane’s violent encounter.
Books provide Jane with an escape from her unhappy domestic situation. For Jane, each picture in Bewick’s tale offers a story that sparks her keen imagination. But Jane also says that the book reminds her of the tales that Bessie, one of the Reeds’ servants, sometimes tells on winter evenings. Books feed Jane’s imagination, offering her a vast world beyond the claustrophobia of Gateshead; they fill her with visions of how rich life could be, rather than how stagnant it actually is. Not a complacent little girl, Jane longs for love and adventure.

As she’s being dragged to the red-room, Jane resists her jailors, Bessie and Miss Abbott. After the servants have locked her in, Jane begins observing the red-room. It is the biggest and best room of the mansion, yet is rarely used because Uncle Reed died there.
Looking into a mirror, Jane compares her image to that of a strange fairy. The oddness of being in a death-chamber seems to have stimulated Jane’s imagination, and she feels superstitious about her surroundings. She’s also contemplative. Why, she wonders, is she always the outcast? The reader learns that Jane’s Uncle Reed—her mother’s brother—brought her into the household. On his deathbed, he made his wife promise to raise Jane as one of her own children, but obviously, this promise has not been kept.
Suddenly, Jane feels a presence in the room and imagines it might be Mr. Reed, returning to earth to avenge his wife’s violation of his last wish. She screams and the servants come running into the room. Jane begs to be removed from the red-room, but neither the servants nor Mrs. Reed have any sympathy for her. Believing that Jane is pretending to be afraid, Mrs. Reed vows that Jane will be freed only if she maintains “perfect stillness and submission.” When everyone leaves, Jane faints.
Jane awakens in her own bedroom, surrounded by the sound of muffled voices. She is still frightened but also aware that someone is handling her more tenderly than she has ever been touched before. She feels secure when she recognizes Bessie and Mr. Lloyd, an apothecary, standing near the bed. Bessie is kind to Jane and even tells another servant that she thinks Mrs. Reed was too hard on Jane. Jane spends the next day reading, and Bessie sings her a song.
After a conversation with Jane, Mr. Lloyd recommends that Mrs. Reed send her away to school. Jane is excited about leaving Gateshead and beginning a new life. Overhearing a conversation between Miss Abbot and Bessie, Jane learns that her father was a poor clergyman who married her mother against her family’s wishes. As a result, Jane’s grandfather Reed disinherited his daughter. A year after their marriage, Jane’s father caught typhus while visiting the poor, and both of her parents soon died within a month of each other and left Jane orphaned.

Suskun

V.I.P
V.I.P
Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Francis Scott)

Rosemary met Nicole and Dr. Dick Diver on summer at the French Riviera. She fell in love with Dick. After spending some time at the Riviera with the Divers, the Norths, and her mother, she left her mother and traveled with the rest of the group to Paris. Here, she shopped with Nicole and enjoyed herself. Dick started to fall in love with her, and they all celebrated her eighteenth birthday. One night, when they returned to the hotel, Abe, who was supposed to have left Paris the day before, showed up drunk and said that Dick had to help him protect a Negro who had helped him identify the person who had stolen money from him. The Negro was in trouble because the other Negroes were angry with him. Feeling that Abe, Rosemary, and Dick wanted some privacy, the Negro went outside to wait in the corridor. Dick told Abe to go and freshen up, and to return later. When Rosemary returned to her room, she found the Negro laying dead on her bed. So that nobody would accuse Rosemary, Dick took his bed sheets and put them on Rosemary’s bed, and took Rosemary’s and asked his wife, Nicole, to clean them. After putting the body in a believable position on the floor in the corridor, Rosemary and Dick returned to the Diver’s suite to find Nicole crying and rocking herself on the bathroom floor, holding the bloody sheets. She had drifted back into insanity. Rosemary returned to her mother.

Dick arrived in Zurich in 1917, at the age of 26, and was a neuropathologist. Nicole had been one of his patients, and was a schizophrenic as she was scared of men. Nicole and Dick fell in love, despite the fact that her sister, Beth, thought that Dick was marrying Nicole for her money, and that there was a big difference in social status between the two families. Beth was always concerned about Nicole’s condition, and now, Franz, one of Dick’s colleagues, suggested that he and Dick open up a clinic. Beth liked the idea since that would mean that Nicole would live near it. They used Nicole’s money to finance it. After eighteen months at the clinic, Dick decided to leave the clinic. One day, upon returning home, there was a letter to Nicole saying that Dick had seduced one of his patients. Although this was not true, they had an argument and got into a car accident. After this, Dick told Nicole that he wanted to go to the Psychiatric Conference in Berlin, although he had no intention of doing this, but needed time away.

During his time away, Dick learned that Abe had died. Dick also started forming a drinking habit. He started falling in love with every girl he saw. During this time, his father died and so he went to America. Here, he saw Rosemary, whom he hadn’t seen in four years, and they flirted some more with each other before finally sleeping together. Afterwards, they both realized that they weren’t really in love. Dick then got drunk and got into a fight with a cab driver, and ended up at the police station where he punched a policeman. Beth was the one who had to get him out, and he felt ashamed.

When Dick returned, it was obvious that things between him and Nicole were over, and Nicole told him that she had feelings for Tommy Barban, one of their friends who Dick had never liked. Tommy said that he loved Nicole too. Dick spoke with Mary North and she said that everybody had loved him, but that his alcohol problem had caused him to lose many friends. Dick was glad that she was honest with him.